To have a proper rainfall surface, minimum three rain gauges are required. There are two ways to add rain gauges on the Map:
- Add rain gauges manually
- Add rain gauges by importing a shapefile
Add Rain Gauge Manually
Adding a rain gauge is similar to adding other point hydrologic objects (e.g. AddHyd). To add rain gauges on map:
- Right click on the empty place on the Map to open context menu
- Select Add->Rainguage in map context menu.
- Click on the map to add the rain gauge. Once finishing the adding, click the Selection button in the GIS toolbar or press ESC key to exit adding rain gauges.
- Set the storm index pointing to the rainfall data in a rain group. Navigate to the Parameter Tables of the Rain Gauges. To edit the Storm Index column in the Parameter Table, click on the cell under the Storm Index column and then type the storm index.
It is recommended to use same storm index in different rain groups to avoid changing the storm index after switching between rain groups. In this context, the rain group is a collection of rainfalls happening at the same time but at different locations. It is recommended to name the rain group with the rainfall time range and to label the rainfall data with the rain gauge name.
Add Rain Gauge by Importing Shapefile
- Navigate to GIS toolbar and click the Import Layer button.
- In the Import Required Layers window, choose Raingauge for the Layer field. Click the button next to the Input Source field to navigate to and open the rain gauge shapefile. Set up the mapping table to map Mapped Properties with Layer Properties. Click Import. If a window popping up and asking whether to overwrite existing layer, select Overwrite. Close the Import Required Layers window.
- Navigate to the imported Raingauge layer in the tree of the Map. Right click on the layer to open the context menu and select Zoom to Layer
- If the rain gauges are not displayed at the right location on the map, the coordinate system needs to be updated for the rain gauge layer. To do that, right click on the Raingauge layer to open the context menu and select Layer Properties.Click on the Coordinate System tab and click Preset button. In the pop up window, navigate to and open the shapefile that has the correct coordinate system (usually it will be the same rain gauge shapefile). Click Apply and Exit on the Layer Properties window.