The Accreditation Commission offers three categories for its accredited members. While the requirements and standards remain the same for each, there are unique components for each type of accreditation that are important for centers to note. Within each category, the Accreditation Commission of ACPE accredits centers to offer programs of Level I/Level II CPE and Certified Educator CPE.
Institution Sponsored Center
An institution sponsored CPE center is housed inside of an institution or agency (like a hospital). The CPE program is an integral part of the institution and has a clearly defined reporting structure within the larger setting. As an institution sponsored CPE center is accredited as a single site, the CPE center may apply to use satellite programs to offer units, clinical placement agreements to offer clinical placements, or educational placement agreements to offer CPE in other parts of the institution.
A system center is a CPE center sponsored by an institution or agency that owns and operates multiple facilities, called component sites, where CPE is conducted. A system center has a single accreditation that is administered by a central office. While the main system center is accountable for all CPE programming at accredited component sites, each component functions independently, responsible for its curriculum, faculty, and program. Each location is unique and therefore the accredited CPE system center is strongly encouraged to articulate its relationship with its component sites as part of its portfolio.
- The Commission accredits System Centers to conduct CPE programs at two or more component sites.
- A central administrative office ensures that all component sites meet ACPE Standards.
- The System Center maintains the Accreditation Portfolio. Each component site will provide information to the System Center for inclusion in the portfolio.
- An accredited system CPE center does not have to have “system” in its name.
- A system center must specify a primary ACPE Certified Educator who is the contact person for accreditation issues.
- The ACPE Directory will list component sites as a part of the System Center.
- A component site may begin programs with provisional approval of the assigned commissioner.
To seek initial accreditation as a System Center, follow the steps for provisional accreditation or Provisional Accreditation to a Fully Accredited Member, with the a site visit that includes the central administrative office and a one-person visit to each component site.
For an accredited center wishing to become an Accredited System Center, a revision of materials and a site visit must take place. The site visit will shift the center’s accreditation cycle to begin anew upon achieving Accredited System Center status.
Free Standing/Independent Center
A free standing center is an independently incorporated CPE center, with its own Board of Directors, whose primary mission is to provide programs of CPE through on-campus programs or through satellite program arrangements.