A clinical placement is a site for CPE student(s) to complete some or all of the clinical hours requirement of a unit at a location that is physically separated from the accredited program.
Examples of clinical placement sites include a branch of your hospital/organization/institution located down the street, a clinic operated in a separate location, a mental health facility operated by another institution, or a corporate office.
Requirements for Establishing a Relationship with a Clinical Site
- The ACPE Certified Educator(s) and student(s) must be authorized to function in the clinical site.
- The dates of the unit of CPE must be clearly articulated.
- An onsite preceptor must be identified.
- The number of contact hours that will fulfill the requirements for a student’s clinical hour requirement must be clearly stated.
- The site must provide students access to a population that offers significant opportunity for spiritual care, on-going support and consultation for the student(s), opportunities for interdisciplinary and professional interchange, and an environment that encourages human growth and dignity.
- Educational programming for CPE units must be based in the accredited center, component site, or satellite program.
Clinical Placements Within Your Hospital/Institution/Organization Network/System
When a clinical placement is physically separated from the accredited program, BUT is part of the same hospital/institution/organization network, a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that contains the elements outlined above may be utilized in place of a Clinical Placement Agreement. The responsible individuals at each site should sign the MOU, along with the student and the preceptor.
Clinical Placements that are Outside of your Hospital/Institution/Organization Network/System
When the Clinical Placement is external to the larger organization, a Clinical Placement Agreement that includes the elements outlined above shall be developed. As this is an agreement with an external site, the ACPE Certified Educator should consult with the appropriate local individuals (e.g. administration, legal and risk management) to develop a document that meets both ACPE’s requirements and those of the accredited program. The document must include signatures of appropriate administrative representatives from each organization (those who are recognized in the institution as having the authority to enter into the agreement), the ACPE Certified Educator, the preceptor, and the student.
Clinical Placement Sites that are used on a Regular Basis
When a clinical placement site is used on a regular basis, the program may utilize an alternative agreement (or MOU for clinical placements within your organization) that includes:
- A general agreement that is renewed annually that
- grants authorization for ACPE Certified Educator(s) and student(s) to function in the clinical site
- ensures students’ access to a population that offers significant opportunity for spiritual care, on-going support and consultation for the student(s), opportunities for interdisciplinary and professional interchange, and an environment that encourages human growth and dignity
- includes signatures of appropriate administrative representatives from each organization and the ACPE Certified Educator
- specifies that educational programming for CPE units must be based in the accredited program
- A secondary document for each student that
- specifies the number of contact hours that will fulfill the requirements for a student’s clinical hour requirement
- outlines the dates of the unit
- the name and contact information for the preceptor
- includes signatures of the ACPE Certified Educator, the preceptor, and the student
- is updated for each unit of CPE