In awareness of employee safety and eliminating unnecessary risks behind the wheel for employees and for the organization, the ACPE, Inc. has enacted the following Driving for ACPE Policy, effective July 24, 2018.
We are committed to the safety of all ACPE employees, and those we may encounter on the public road. In light of this, ACPE, Inc. provides the following rules, which apply to any employee operating any motor vehicle on company business and the use of a cellphone or other such device while operating any motor vehicle on company business:
- Employees are strictly prohibited from operating any motor vehicle while under the influence of any alcohol or drug, whether medically prescribed or otherwise. In particular, employees are not to operate a motor vehicle on company business while taking medications that include warnings against operating heavy machinery.
- Employees are not to operate a motor vehicle on company business after or while consuming any amount of alcoholic beverage, regardless of presumed level of intoxication, for the safety of all concerned.
- Employees may not use any cellphone or other such device while operating a motor vehicle on company business, regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion or stopped at a traffic light. This includes, but is not limited to, answering or making phone calls, engaging in phone conversations, reading or responding to emails, instant messages and text messages.
- Employees are required to observe and adhere to all applicable State and local laws and/or ordinances while operating a motor vehicle.
- If employees need to use their cellphones while operating a motor vehicle on company business, they must safely pull over to the side of the road or another location.
Additionally, employees are required to do the following:
- Turn cellphones off or put them on silent or vibrate before starting the motor vehicle.
- Engage any GPS devices, and establish a hands-free operation of such device, prior to moving the motor vehicle.
- Consider modifying voicemail greetings to indicate that you are unavailable to answer calls or return messages while driving.
- Inform clients, associates and business partners of this policy as an explanation of why calls may not be returned immediately.
- Delete phone links from any rental cars upon return.
Consequences of violating this policy may include written reprimand, up to and including the possibility of termination of employment.
We are committed to providing safety, care and fair coverage for those that are conducting business of behalf of ACPE, Inc. which may include the use of any motor vehicle. ACPE, Inc. has adopted the following insurance provisions to the extent allowed by the Georgia Insurance Code:
- Employees operating any individually-owned motor vehicle for ACPE business, who are at fault for any accident or legal violation, are personally responsible (personal auto insurance) for all damages, including the violation citation and any expenses related to the remedy of resulting injuries/damages to the individual(s) and or vehicle(s) involved. Only additional medical expenses for employees that exceed their insurance limits may be sought through ACPE/Emory’s workers’ comp.
- Employees that are a passenger in any individually-owned motor vehicle being used for ACPE business, in which the operator of the vehicle is at fault for any accident or legal violation, will seek initial remedy for any damages they may incur through the operating party’s insurance to the extent of applicable limits. Only additional medical expenses for the employees that exceed the operating party’s insurance limits may be sought through ACPE/Emory’s workers’ comp.
- Additionally, an employee that is on ACPE business in any motor vehicle, which is involved in an accident through no fault of the operator of that vehicle, should seek initial remedy for all damages through the insurance of the party/company that is at fault. Only additional medical expenses for employees that exceed the at-fault party/company’s insurance limits may be sought through ACPE/Emory’s workers’ comp.
Employees are only authorized to rent a motor vehicle when absolutely necessary to conduct ACPE, Inc.’s business. In the case of renting such a vehicle, the following will apply:
- Employees MUST use the ACPE’s American Express corporate credit card and the ACPE, Inc.’s name, in order to provide for the rental agreement and costs of any rental vehicle;
- Employees should NOT accept the rental agency’s elective insurance offerings. If the employee chooses to accept those offerings, their costs are NOT covered/reimbursable by ACPE, Inc.;
- Should the employee operating the rental be at fault in causing an accident or legal violation, the employee will be responsible for any imposed citation/legal fees. The personal injury/medical expenses and material damages to vehicle(s) would be covered through a process with the ACPE’s auto insurance, ACPE/Emory’s workers’ comp policy, and the American Express card benefits coverage.
We are committed to the good stewardship of organizational funds, as well as the provision of quality and fair services provided by our employees. Employees may, from time to time, find it necessary to engage the use of a motor vehicle in carrying out ACPE, Inc.’s business. The following financial policies will apply to the use of vehicles on such ACPE business:
- Employees are only authorized to rent a motor vehicle when absolutely necessary to conduct ACPE, Inc.’s business. In most local activities, an employee’s own motor vehicle should be used; while those traveling away from the local office may require a rental car due to cost effectiveness over other means, lack of feasible ground transportation, or other such circumstances.
- ACPE, Inc. will reimburse for EITHER mileage, fuel costs, or a rental vehicle. At no time does ACPE, Inc. reimburse for overlapping expenses.
- If a rental car is used in lieu of airplane travel for long-distance travel, ACPE, Inc. will provide for/reimburse for the cost of rental/mileage/fuel only up to cost of an equivalent airfare ticket obtained thirty days prior to the initial travel date.
- Ordinarily, ACPE, Inc. does not provide/reimburse for valet parking. Employees are expected to seek the most cost effective and feasible parking options whenever possible.
- Employees are encouraged to use the most cost effective means of local travel at all times, based on the city in which you are conducting business, such as a local rail system, Lyft, Uber, etc. When traveling to a destination for business, a rental car should only be obtained if necessary to conduct business in the area and other feasible means of travel are not available.
- ACPE, Inc. does reimburse for toll costs during required travel, regardless of presence of receipt.
- Please review and be familiar with the full Travel and Reimbursement policy for greater detail.
Consequences of violating this policy may result in the denial of reimbursement of such expenses and/or written reprimand, up to and including the possibility of termination of employment.