A program has an educational plan that engages its students in a process model of education and clinical method of learning, ensuring an educational environment and clinical population that present appropriate learning opportunities, sites, and placements for student engagement and spiritual care.
An ACPE accredited program is expected to establish and maintain a robust educational plan for Clinical Pastoral Education, one that embodies the values foundational to ACPE’s philosophy of educational formation—namely, process pedagogy, clinical learning, and contextual engagement. A program is encouraged to be intentional, thoughtful, creative, and innovative with its educational design, such that its CPE program would present to students the best curricular resources and learning opportunities unique to its context and population. An ACPE accredited program’s educational plan is robust when students are provided with optimal learning opportunities and resources to meet the ACPE Outcomes and Indicators, the Competencies for Certified Educator CPE, and to achieve program and student developed learning goals.
In assessing this area, reviewers will look at the program’s:
A. Utilization of the process model of education and the clinical method of learning
B. Utilization of clinical placements
C. Engagement of students in the learning process and the use of individualized learning plans
D. Process of evaluation for measuring student learning in relation to ACPE Outcomes and Indicators or Competencies for Certified Educator CPE
E. Utilization of video conferencing and how it serves to fulfill educational goals (If applicable)
Items that must be included in the program’s portfolio:
- Sample individualized learning plans for students. These may either be the template that is used or actual agreements with student names redacted.
- A description of each clinical site and placement, including the ways in which each is utilized. Also include copies of current clinical placement agreements.
- Evidence of student engagement from student survey/interview data and analysis
- A presentation of the process of evaluating student achievement throughout the unit, as well as a reflection on how the process of measuring student achievement using the standardized evaluation form is working. For those programs offering Certified Educator CPE, include a redacted sample/template for the formal written evaluations. (see End of Unit Evaluations for more information)
- Biographical forms for all ACPE Certified (Associate) Educators. In addition, the center shall include a current CV/Resume (or equivalent) of Adjunct Faculty/Didactic Presenters who have participated in the unit.
- Summary results of the evaluation process of a unit that utilized video conferencing for regular student engagement, including student feedback specific to video conferencing and the Center’s own evaluation of the effectiveness, strengths, and limitations of the modality as an educational tool.