A center has an educational plan that engages its students in a process model of education and clinical method of learning, ensuring an educational environment and clinical population that present appropriate learning opportunities, sites, and placements for student engagement and spiritual care.
An ACPE accredited center is expected to establish and maintain a robust educational plan for Clinical Pastoral Education, one that embodies the values foundational to ACPE’s philosophy of educational formation—namely, process pedagogy, clinical learning, and contextual engagement. A center is encouraged to be intentional, thoughtful, creative, and innovative with its educational design, such that its CPE program would present to students the best curricular resources and learning opportunities unique to its context and population. An ACPE accredited center’s educational plan is robust when students are provided with optimal learning opportunities and resources to meet the ACPE Objectives and Outcomes, the Competencies for Certified Educator CPE, and to achieve program and student developed learning goals.
In assessing this area, reviewers will look at the center’s:
A. Utilization of the process model of education and the clinical method of learning
B. Utilization of clinical placements
C. Engagement of students in the learning process and the use of individualized learning plans
D. Process of evaluation for measuring student learning in relation to ACPE Objectives and Outcomes or Competencies for Certified Educator CPE
E. Utilization of video conferencing as a modality and how it serves to fulfill educational goals (If applicable)
Items that must be included in the center’s portfolio:
- Sample individualized learning plans for students.These may either be the template that is used or actual agreements with student names redacted.
- A description of each clinical site and placement, including the ways in which each is utilized. Also include copies of current clinical placement agreements.
- Evidence of student engagement from student survey/interview data and analysis
- A presentation of the process for measuring student achievement through evaluations, including the assessment tool, as well as a reflection on how the process is working. Include a template that is used in writing evaluations or sample student and Certified Educator formal written evaluations with student names redacted. (see End of Unit Evaluations for more information)
- Biographical forms for all ACPE Certified (Associate) Educators. In addition, the center shall include a list of guest faculty members who have participated in the unit.
- Summary results of the evaluation process of a unit that utilized video conferencing for regular student engagement, including student feedback specific to video conferencing and the Center’s own evaluation of the effectiveness, strengths, and limitations of the modality as an educational tool.