Once chosen by the local center, and prior to the ACPE interview, the applicant must view the following videos located on the New Certification Process webpage:
The applicant will write a brief reflection on each of the videos, demonstrating their understanding of the major ideas of each and include these reflections in their portfolio.
The training educator will arrange for the applicant’s interview. The interview committee will be comprised of three persons. The interview can be arranged in person or via video conference and will include the following persons:
- The Certified Educator Candidate applicant
- The training educator from the local center
- The training educator is the primary educator at the center who will be supporting the work of the CEC
- A Certification Commission Reviewer who will be assigned by the Chair of the Commission or Certification Coordinator in the national office
- The Certification Commission Reviewer will oversee the progress of the CEC for the duration of their term on the Commission. For more information about the relationship of the Certification Commisson Reviewer to the CEC’s process, click here to download a copy of the following graphic:
- An ACPE Certified Educator from outside of the center, who is part of the National Faculty (selected by the training ACPE Certified Educator)
- The outside educator’s role is to provide a fresh set of eyes to assess the applicant’s readiness for entry into the ACPE Certification Process
The Certification Commission representative and the local ACPE Certified Educator shall be given access to the applicant’s portfolio no less than 30 days prior to the interview. Each will review the materials and evaluate the applicant in accordance with the competencies for admission, utilizing the Admission Competencies Assessment Form, which will then become a part of the CEC’s portfolio.
If either the Commission Representative or the National Faculty Member determines that an applicant has not met the required competencies, they shall request a conference call with the ACPE Certified Educator from the local center to discuss their concerns. The group must reach a consensus as to how to proceed with the process, seeking consultation from the Chair of the Commission as needed.
Upon completion of the assessment of the applicant’s materials and the interview process, the committee shall determine the applicant’s level of competence and suitability for the certification process. The decision shall require a unanimous for acceptance. Following the committee’s deliberation, feedback will be provided to the applicant.
- Applicants who are accepted into the process are granted the title Certified Educator Candidate and the center will be invoiced for the yearly fee.
- If an applicant is not accepted, it is possible for the local center to continue to work with the student on the areas outlined by the committee, and then arrange for another interview at a later date. Aspirants who choose this path will enroll in Level I/Level II CPE during this time period.
If an applicant has been accepted into the ACPE Certification Process but decides to apply to a different center, they only need to complete that center’s interview process. They do not need to complete the ACPE interview process again.