Any program utilizing video conferencing in a unit of CPE must have written policies and procedures that fully address the items listed below. These must be included in the program’s Student Handbook.
- A written agreement that specifies the ACPE Certified Educator will conduct site visit(s) or use other means to verify the clinical placement site complies with ACPE requirements and the frequency for such visits or measures.
- Onsite preceptor to communicate with the student’s supervisor about the student(s)’ work. The ACPE Certified Educator must communicate with the student(s)’ preceptor(s) throughout the unit about the student(s) clinical work, work habits, and investment in the CPE process.
- A plan to ensure access to technology and orientation to use of the technology for students and the ACPE Certified Educator. Educational seminars interrupted by technological problems may not be counted toward the 100 hour requirement for a unit of CPE. The total number of hours for a unit is still 400 hours.
- A plan to ensure confidentiality: Identifying which platforms are being used for video conferencing, HIPAA concerns as appropriate, recording of sessions.
- A plan to ensure student safety and privacy: use of cameras and headphones, locations from which a student may join, use of headphones, emergency contact information.
- A process for evaluating the effectiveness of utilizing videoconferencing in addressing outcomes and student learning goals. Programs must include an analysis of the process in their portfolios and any changes that result.