The unique Migration Automation allows you to build optimized migration flows using pre-programed steps.
It is designed for Legacy ECM migration, Legacy SharePoint content migration and FileShare migration. You can restructure and enrich content with active use of any external data source such as SQLServer, CSV, ODBC, SharePoint Lists etc.
For example, external data can be the “driver of the migration” or be seamlessly combined with files from a FileShare and dynamically migrated into SharePoint Document Library Items – effectively migrating any legacy ECM to SharePoint.
Comparison specific to Sharegate
|Features matrix : Classic Migration tools vs. Migration Flow||Classic||Flow|
|Copy SharePoint site or site collection from a to b||Yes|
|Copy Microsoft Teams 1:1 from a to b||Yes|
|SharePoint and Teams management/reporting||Yes|
|PowerShell CMDLET to embed in custom PowerShell driven migration projects||Yes|
|Copy files from FileShare or SharePoint to Teams or any SharePoint platform||Yes||Yes|
| Consolidated always up-to-date actionable reporting.
You have a consistent and consolidated overview of where the migration project stands.
The reporting output can be used directly for
Notice that you can secretively
|Simplify complex file migration projects by replacing scripting and manual work with visual no-code “Migration Automation” Build your migration logic using proven reusable steps designed and optimized specifically for SharePoint migration scenarios.||Yes|
| Apply unvalidated user names to all SharePoint Online user columns
|Codeless control flow. The codeless DataETL Step and For-Each Step allows you to effortlessly define the looping and data manipulation needed for advanced migration. They effectively eliminate most if not all your PowerShell.||Yes|
|“Data-driven file distribution” with cherry-picking of files for high performance upload with metadata and major/minor version history applied from any data source||Yes|
|Use the codeless DataETL Step and For-Each Step. features to analyse and build the right data set for selective migration/distribution across thousands of sites||Yes|
|Codeless setup that is pre-tested not tied to anyone person. Many people and run, analyze and maintain.||Yes|
|External data access: query and manipulation + CRUD (SQL||Yes|
|SharePoint List & Library query and data manipulation + CRUD||Yes|
| Migrate documents with version history from legacy DMS to Office 365
(Alfresco, IBM FileNet, OpenText etc.)
|High performance 24/7 async transfer to SharePoint Online
(½TB – 10TB/day)
|Data ETL (Extract ,Transform and Load) between data sources including SharePoint List and Libraries, SQLServer, CSV etc.||Yes|
|Calculated SharePoint metadata||Yes|
|OnDemand Migration. Jobs controlled from a SharePoint List||Yes|
|Advanced FileShare discovery||Yes|
|Data staging to data sources including databases and SharePoint List with transformations. Extract from SharePoint or any data source.||Yes|
|Combine metadata from external data source with files from FileShare to create Library Items||Yes|
|Apply/reapply transformed metadata from from any data source||Yes|
|Database based reporting, tracking and analysis (no text log files etc.)||Yes|
|Job notification and approval workflows can be invoked using Power Automate on job or For-Each loop level)||Yes|
|2-way CRUD operations on SharePoint List/Libraries and data sources tables||Yes|
|Embed 2-way parameterized PowerShell to include proprietary functionality. You can call PowerShell for-each-row or just once. PowerShell core 5 & 7 supported. ISE and Visual Code supported as embedded editor.||Yes|
|Excel-style calculation engine with variable support||Yes|
|All SharePoint data types supported. Lookups, Managed Metadata, Labels and Content-Type can be resolved using dynamic calculations.||Yes|
|64 bit Desktop Cloud App. You control all data transfers. No cloud service needed||Yes|
|External data sources include (CRUD = Create, Read, Update, Delete)||Support|
- In a typical migration project a classic tool is the corner stone. All automation-logic, data retrieval and error handling is custom coded in PowerShell and the classic tool is used as a utility to perform the file copy to SharePoint. With Migration Flow the approach is different and the project is made of configurable Steps that are designed for content migration, data extraction and automation with no code required.
In other words a fundamental change in the way you approach and execute migration to the Digital Workplace.
- The foundation for transfer to O365 is the SharePoint Import Migration API. The product’s implementation uses advanced tracking that guarantees reporting on each file while at the same time utilizing asynchronous high performance transfer. This unique technology results in high migration throughput even during Azure datacenter production hours and brings throttling to an absolute minimum.
- Microsoft PowerAutomate cloud flows can be invoked for incremental notification and invocation of approval workflows as the migration progresses.
- The consolidated migration reporting is built in and the data set is accessible using SQL from PowerBI or other database reporting solution.
- Migration On Demand – Prebuilt template for centralized SharePoint List based migration job management. The migration jobs are created as list items and you can apply your own UI on top using PowerApps add workflow logic etc. using PowerAutomate.
Last modified: 4 July 2022
Thanks for your feedback.
Post your comment on this topic.