Professionals within the investigative and intelligence sectors will need to set up an investigative wallet for use during the course of targeted cryptocurrency investigations. This is no different than having a sock puppet account or utilizing a burner phone to secure your identity. However, it can help with things like:
- Online undercover investigations into illicit sale or purchases of contraband
- Covert purchases
- Covert money transfers
- Recovering money from a suspect’s computer
- Seizing other assets
Several factors go into setting up an investigative wallet that will help protect your anonymity and help aid in your investigation:
- Have a Firewall Installed: You can use Comodo, Glasswire, or Zone Alarm
- Install an Ant-virus Software: Make sure to install a program like Norton, McAfee, Bitdefender, Cisco, Webroot, or Sophos.
- Install AntiSpyware: Make sure to install AntiSpyware software. They are often included in programs like Norton and McAfee.
- Keep your browser, operating system, and apps up to date: Always update your system and apps as they have security updates included.
- Use Encryption: You can protect your Mac OS or Windows with software like FileVault, which will encrypt the data. You can also use a VPN to protect and encrypt your web traffic.
- Use Virtualization: Run your browser through Parallels or VM Ware Fusion.
- Secure your Network: If you have not done so already. Login to your router and set a new password while encrypted and protected.
- Anonymous Wallet: Utilize a solution like Samourai Wallet – https://samouraiwallet.com/ or Jaxx Wallet – https://jaxx.io/.
- Anonymous Coin Purchase: Buy your cryptocurrency from somewhere that does not require you to provide your personal details. There are several options to doing this, such as:
BitQuick, Bitit. Gift, BitFinex, or Bitcoin ATMs.
In any event, you will need to have a multi-signature address procedure in place so that there can be no suggestion of malpractice, and you will need to carefully document and preserve everything you do for court presentation. This topic will be covered in greater detail in subsequent modules.