(a) Buoys shall be laid out for the swim, board, and surf ski legs as indicated in the following diagram.

(b) To ensure fair starts and finishes, alignment of the start line and finish line to the buoys may be altered at the discretion of the Chief Referee, depending on the prevailing sea conditions.

(c) To encourage spectator, public, media and sponsor interest special audio and visuals may also be utilised including changeover and finish Arches, large in-water turning buoys, special on-beach turning markers/flags and on-beach grandstands.

(d) Buoy distances: The swimming buoys shall be positioned approximately 90m from the water’s edge and 50m apart.

(e) The board leg buoys and surf ski leg buoys shall be positioned approximately 50m and 100m respectively behind the swimming buoys. The board leg buoys should be approximately 55m apart and the surf ski buoys approximately 60m apart, with the surf ski buoys having an additional small marker buoy placed approximately 1m to the return side of each of the ski buoys to assist with ski turns.

(f) Markers: A large turning marker (or two flags approximately one metre apart) is to be placed in the centre of the beach at approximately knee depth water to the designate beach turning point at the halfway of each leg of the race. In the event that there is no shallow water the marker shall be placed at the water’s edge.

(g) Two further beach markers approximately 35m apart are to be placed on the beach directly behind the turning markers to form a semi-circular run track to the finish/change line.

(h) Finish/Change line: The finish/change line is designated by a finish arch or twin flags placed 5m apart and in the centre of the arena and approximately 20 metres (tide dependent) from the water’s edge. If a finish arch is erected the judging line shall be delineated by two flags on the incoming side of the arch.

Note: For the Ocean M Lifesaver Relay event the finish/change line shall also be the changeover line for team members in the event.

(i) Start line: The start line shall be approximately 30 m in length, centred on the swimming buoy number 1 approximately 10m from the water’s edge, and may be marked by poles at either end.

(j) Other than the initial starting swim leg competitors are not required to cross through the start line for the board and ski legs of the event. 

Note: Boards and Skis are to be placed there directed at the start line prior to the commencement of the race.

(k) Swim course: The swim leg is conducted from the start line, around the first swimming buoy from left to right, return to the beach to round the turning marker(s) from right to left, then proceed around the second swimming buoy from left to right and return to the beach, past the first beach marker, through the finish/change arch and past the second beach marker to commence the board leg.

(l) Board course: The board leg is conducted from the pick-up of the board on the beach, past swim buoy 1 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim buoy 1) and around the first board buoy from left to right, return to the beach passing swim buoy 1 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim buoy 1). The turning marker is then rounded from right to left, and the board is paddled past swim buoy 2 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim buoy 2) and around the second board buoy from left to right, return to the beach passing swim buoy 2 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim buoy 2) to return to the beach, past the first beach marker, through the finish/change arch and past the second beach marker to commence the ski leg.

(m) Surf Ski course: The ski leg is conducted from the pick-up of the ski on the beach, past swim and board buoys 1 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim and board buoys 1) and around the first ski buoy (and the marker buoy) from left to right, return to the beach passing the board and swim buoys 1 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim and board buoys 1). The turning marker is then rounded from right to left and the ski is paddled past the swim and board buoys 2 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim and board buoys 2) and around the second ski buoy (and marker buoy) from left to right, passing board and swim buoys 2 on the outside (i.e. the paddler stays to the left of the swim and board buoys 1) to return to the beach, past the first beach marker and through the finish line and arch to complete the race.

(n) Beach sprint course and finish: The race shall be concluded when a competitor completes all legs. To finish, a competitor must past the first beach marker and through the finish at the Finish Arch (or through the two finish flags).

(o) Course Set Up Guidance: If the swim buoy distance is to exceed 90m from the water’s edge because of prevailing tide or surf or beach conditions, the Event Management Committee may decide to use the two board buoys for the swim. In such circumstances competitors shall not complete an M shape swim course but shall proceed around both board buoys without returning to the beach and then commence the “M” board leg.

Note: Should tide or surf or beach conditions make it impractical to set a suitable M shaped water course, the Event Management Committee may alternatively decide to use the traditional Ironman/Ironwoman course for the water legs of the event while retaining the on-beach course for the event.

Note 1: Competitors round the turning flags in the same direction as the buoys for each leg of the course.

Note 2: If the swim buoy distance is to exceed 90m from the water’s edge because of prevailing surf or beach conditions, the Event Management Committee may decide to use the two board buoys for the swim. In such circumstances competitors shall not complete an M shape swim course but shall proceed around both board buoys without returning to the beach and then commence the “M” board leg.

FIGURE 37- INDIVIDUAL OCEAN M COURSE
(Distances approximate only)
Note: The beach setup relative to the positioning of the
buoys may be adjusted dependent on the sea conditions.