(a) The course of a correct wheel is defined by three imaginary lines, namely:

• (i) A “start” line, drawn through the wheeling point (marked with a pole or flag) at right angles to the direction of march prior to the wheel (i.e. at right angles to the line joining the point and the preceding wheeling point).
  • (ii) A “finish” line, drawn through the wheeling point at right angles to both the “start wheel” line and the direction of march after the wheel (i.e. at right angles to the line joining the point and the next wheeling point).
  • (iii) A “wheel” line, being a line traced between the “start” and “finish” lines at a radius of 1.2m from the wheeling point.

(b) For a correct wheel, each unit of the team (i.e. Standard Bearer, Belt Person, persons on the axis of the reel drum and Rear Rank), must march up to the “start” line before commencing to wheel. Note: Persons on the front handles must march over the “start” line before commencing to wheel in view of their somewhat “fixed” position caused by their grip on the reel.

(c) On reaching the wheeling point the Standard Bearer and Belt Person in succession shall move round a quarter of the circumference of a circle having a radius of 2.7m in nine equal paces of approximately 47cm. When the quarter circle is completed they shall move on in the new direction. When the centre (or axis) of the reel reaches the wheeling point, the pivot person (the person on the left of the drum of the reel) shall move round a quarter of the circumference of the circle having a radius of 1.2m in nine equal paces of approximately 21cm. The person on the right of the drum of the reel shall move round a quarter of the circumference of the circle having a radius of 4.2m in nine equal paces of approximately 73cm. When the quarter circle is completed, the persons on the reel shall move on in the new direction.

(d) When the Rear Rank reaches the wheeling point, the left hand person shall follow the pivot person, and the right hand person shall follow the person on the right of the drum of the reel. The remaining persons shall maintain their dressing and spacing and when the quarter circle is completed they shall follow on in the new direction.

FIGURE 48 - WHEELING DIAGRAM OPEN AND UNDER 17, UNDER 23 AND UNDER 13 – UNDER 15 COMBINED MARCH PAST EVENTS

FIGURE 49: WHEELING DIAGRAM UNDER 14 AND UNDER MARCH PAST EVENTS