The Course Judges shall:

(a) Be a judge of fact in relation to the observation of the conduct of an event.

(b) As far as possible, be located in an elevated position, or in a boat, as the case may be, to obtain a constant view of the event.

(c) Immediately report any safety concerns or rescue situations to the Referee or their delegate and/or the Area Risk and Response Office.

(d) Course Judges in Boat may also act as a rescue boat and shall assist in any rescue situation. The crew should also ensure board riders, other craft and surfers are kept at a reasonable distance (having regard to the type of event being conducted) on each side of the competition area.

(e) Observe, note and report any breaches of competition or other rules to the Referee.

(f) Check the alignment of all buoys before the commencement of, and during the progress of, the competition particularly if a change of conditions occur.

(g) Where appointed in Board Riding events to undertake the role of “Wave Spotters” i.e. to identify and alert the judges scoring the event of the positioning of each competitor in the water and when a competitor is catching wave.

(h) In IRB events, also observe that the driving and crew techniques comply with Driving and Crew Safety Procedures.

• (i) Where Driver and/or crew techniques are considered to be a cautionary matter, the Course Judge(s) shall have the authority to caution the Driver and/or crew members of the correct safety techniques. These breaches will be reported to the Referee.
  • (ii) Where driving or crew techniques are considered to be unsafe or dangerous the matter shall be reported to the Referee with a recommendation that the individual crew members be either disqualified from the event or, disqualified from the event and the remainder of the competition.

Note 1: The Course Judges in IRB events shall refer to current SLSA Training Manuals and bulletins which outline IRB operations and Driver/crewing techniques.

Note 2: A “cautionary matter” is considered to be a matter where the crew breaches the standard expected of them when put into a situation where common sense and skill are ignored or where they endanger their own safety.

Note 3: “Unsafe or dangerous” is considered to be where a crew causes or places either their own safety, their IRB, other competitors or their IRBs at risk of injury or collision.

(i) Course Judge in Boat shall:

• (i) Report to the Sectional Referee/Chief Judge no later than 30 minutes before the start of the competition to receive instructions.
  • (ii) In events where competitors have to round all buoys, be stationed, sea conditions permitting, on the inside of the line of buoys.
  • (iii) In Belt Races, Board Rescue, Rescue Tube Rescue and Rescue Tube Races act as a Course Judge and a Finish Judge and be stationed immediately to the side of and/or on each side if considered necessary by the Sectional Referee and in line, or slightly in front of, with the swimming buoys. They shall record and signal or radio their order of finish of Belt Races and Rescue Tube Races to the appointed Judges on the beach.

(j) For Surf Belt and Rescue Tube Races the following will apply:

• (i) Ensure that all belts and tubes are placed in accordance with event procedures.
  • (ii) Ensure that the reel is placed correctly and the Beltman enter the water in the prescribed manner. The Course Judge may also be used as a Finish Judge to record their view of the finish of the event, such record being subject to confirmation by the Course Judge-in-Boat.
  • (iii) Infringements during the event observed by any of the judges shall be reported through to the Referee who shall adjudicate on the infringement in conjunction with the judge(s) concerned.

(k) In IRB events a Course Judge in Boat and Duty Boat crews shall:

• (i) Transport the Patients out to the buoys when requested by the Referee. When advised, and prior to the event starting, drop the Patients into the water at their allotted buoy.
  • (ii) Position their IRB in line with the buoys in such a way that the judge(s) can readily observe that the various crews comply with the conditions of the competition and the various event rules.
  • (iii) Remain in the vicinity of the buoys until all patients are recovered.