(a) The Eliminator format is an alternate format to conduct the traditional Ironman and Ironwoman and the Ocean M Course events.
(i) Unless otherwise advised by the Competition Organiser or the Competition Committee the order of legs shall be conducted as per the for the particular rules for the Ironman/Ironwoman and Ocean M events.

(b) Qualification for the Elimination event final is determined by heats and further rounds (where applicable) to arrive at a final of 24 competitors.

(c) The final is conducted over three Eliminator races as follows:

• (i) Race 1 eliminating the last 8 athletes
  • (ii) Race 2 eliminating the last 8 athletes
  • (iii) Race 3 (FINAL) 8 remaining athletes

Note: In some circumstances it may be possible to have greater or less than 24 competitors in the first race of an Eliminator final. If this occurs, the Competition Organiser or Referee shall advise elimination numbers in each round prior to the conduct of the first eliminator race. However, the final elimination should comprise a minimum of 6 competitor (for SLSA standard point score purposes).

(d) There will be 5 minutes rest between each race with the time commencing from the race winner crossing the finish line. This time can be subject to the organiser’s discretion based on conditions and advised prior to the Eliminator final commencing.

(e) Rules for the Eliminator finals format shall be as per the traditional Ironman/Ironwoman or Ocean M as appropriate except where varied as follows:

• (i) The final placing and any point score points shall be determined on the round where a competitor is eliminated, or the finish placing obtained in the final round.
  • (ii) Dependent on event promotion, area set up and/or conditions there may be longer or shorter courses and/or run legs for either format.

Note: When racing occurs at “flat-water” venues an alternate course may be considered particularly when the events are conducted at standalone competitions. In such circumstances the course shall be advised by way of entry circular and should include a course diagram and the approximate distances for each leg.

(f) Competitors who fail to complete the course correctly (including missing a turning buoy or mark) shall be subject to the following:

• (i) If an error occurs in the first race of the Eliminator round then the competitor would be disqualified and allocated last place and any relevant points.
  • (ii) If the error occurs in the second or third race of the Eliminator then the competitor would be disqualified and allocated last place in that round. This is because the competitor has already qualified above those who have already been eliminated.

(g) The event winner is the competitor who correctly finishes first in the third (final) elimination race irrespective of what qualifying place they achieved in the first two eliminator races.