Transports can be imported via ActiveControl in two ways:
1) Automatically, via Import Schedules
2) Manually, by authorised users (typically SAP Basis team)
Automatic Imports (Import Schedules)
Import Schedules can be created to automatically deploy transports periodically. Common frequencies at Basis Technologies’ customers include:
- Every 1 minute
- Every 2 minutes
- Every 5 minutes
- Every 15 minutes
- At particular times of the day or week
Automated Import Schedules are typically maintained within your organisation’s implementation of ActiveControl by your local Administrators and SAP Basis team.
When an automated import is performed, depending on your setup of ActiveControl, the Transport Owner will automatically receive an email notification when the transport has been imported (or in most cases, only if it ends in a RC8 import error).
Authorised users (typically SAP Basis teams within most ActiveControl customers) can manually import transports via ActiveControl. This is done via the Global View app tile by authorised users.
Various Import Methods are available within ActiveControl.
Depending on your implementation, it is likely that some or all of the following Import Methods will be seen by users authorised to perform an Import.
- Import One Request at a time: This imports the transports one by one in the sequence that is displayed on screen.
- Fast Import (Import All): This uses the SAP Import All function to import all transports at the same time; it does the same as selecting multiple entries in STMS and doing the import. This is useful where there are circular dependencies between transports (e.g. Data Dictionary objects used across transports). Again it does it based on sequence displayed on screen.
- One request at a time – AC default sequence: This imports the transports one by one in the ActiveControl calculated sequence even if the screen sequence is different. ActiveControl pre-sorts the transports prior to import.
- Fast Import (Import All) – AC default sequence: This imports the transports using the block import method in the ActiveControl calculated sequence even if the screen sequence is different. ActiveControl pre-sorts the transports prior to import