Many SAP customers have multiple clients within at least some of their SAP systems. In some cases, this multi-client strategy is limited to solely the Development system (eg 100 main client, 200 unit test client) – but in other customers, multiple clients can also be seen in Test and sometimes even in Production SAP systems.
Some Basis Technologies’ customers over the years had a requirement to distribute certain changes created in certain Development clients to certain clients in Test and/or Production systems. This has been possible in ActiveControl via a client distribution capability introduced many years ago in the 6.20 release. This is detailed in this online Knowledge Article.
During 2022, a new Basis Technologies’ customer had a slightly different requirement, whereby they needed to distribute external vendor transports (ie transports not created within the customer’s own SAP systems) to certain clients of certain target systems. Since this was not possible via the existing Client Distribution and Import capabilities available within ActiveControl, it has been developed as part of the ActiveControl 9.10 release via a new Rules Engine consumer.
This new capability allows customer to define rules – driven by a custom field on an individual Transport Form – that will determine what clients in a target system the transport should be deployed to.
The following configuration is required in the ActiveControl Domain Controller system.
1. Configure the Custom Field at Transport Level with the desired options.
2. Enable the new CLIENT_SELECTION_RE consumer in table /BTI/TE_RE_CONSE.
3. Configure tables /BTI/TE_RE_STEP, /BTI/TE_RE_RULES and /BTI/TE_RE_STEPC with the desired logic.
4. Configure table /BTI/TE_RE_CLISE with the details of what should be imported into each target/client, based on the steps/rules created in previous step.
5. Enable standard user exist /BTI/TE_CLISEL_IMPORT_0065 in table /BTI/TE_EXITC.
More comprehensive information – including a configuration example with screenshots – can be found in this online Change Note.