Before the audit, the site’s primary contact should ensure that appropriate staff have made time in their schedules to be available at particular times during the audit. The auditors are able to work independently for the majority of the audit, however interaction with the data management staff is necessary at the following times:
- The opening meeting will be held on the first day of the audit and is most applicable to those the auditors will be working closely with throughout the audit week (i.e., data management staff). The opening meeting takes approximately 30 minutes to complete and will be followed by a brief tour of the recipient charts and workspace if on-site. The lead auditor will send a meeting invite to the primary data manager who can then forward the invite to applicable staff members. During this meeting, the audit process, purpose, and goals, summary emails (see below), the role of the data manager during the audit, and the audit follow-up process will be reviewed.
- Throughout the audit, the data manager should be available to assist with locating missing documentation or answering auditor questions.
- For remote audits, daily check-ins will be scheduled for approximately 30 minutes. These meetings provide an opportunity for staff to ask questions regarding the summary emails, discuss recipient-specific scenarios, manual instructions, and ask questions outside the scope of the audit.
- As applicable, a meeting to discuss the center’s prior Corrective Action Plan (CAP) will also be scheduled to occur for approximately 30 minutes. This meeting is intended to review the corrective action assigned following the prior audit, the implementation of the corrective action plan, and any other improvement efforts implemented by the center. Staffing or reporting changes will also be discussed, as applicable.
- On the fourth day of the audit (Thursday), a closing meeting will be held to review high-level findings from the audit and reporting instructions, provide training, and answer questions. This meeting lasts approximately one hour. Final audit error rates and results will not be available at this time and will be sent in the final audit report. The lead auditor will send a meeting invite to the primary data manager who can then forward the invite to applicable staff members. The closing meeting is most appropriate for individuals who complete the CIBMTR forms; however, the medical director and other center staff are more than welcomed to attend. If the medical director wishes to attend the closing meeting but is unavailable due to scheduling conflicts, the auditors can meet with medical director separately, to briefly discuss the findings, if requested.
Last modified: Sep 15, 2022
Thanks for your feedback.
Post your comment on this topic.