Benefit Stability in Uncertain Times
Portico Benefit Services | A Ministry of the ELCA
As the pandemic ebbed and flowed in 2021, Portico’s benefits remained a reliable constant for ELCA congregations and organizations, affirming the importance of church together.
- ELCA-Primary health benefits helped to lower stress levels and provided virtual access to health care.
- The ELCA Retirement Plan continued to deliver strong investment returns while offering no- or low-cost access to financial planning and coaching services.
In recent years, we’ve brought added stability to our program by extending quality, cost-effective benefits to more of those who serve. As we include more ELCA-affiliated social ministry organizations, colleges, and universities, as well as full communion partner denominations, we grow the size of our pool, which, in turn, allows us to secure lower administrative fees and innovative benefits not typically available to smaller groups. In this way, we continue our mission to serve those who serve.
Meeting the Need in 2021
- 869 Plays of New Portico Podcast Hosted by an ELCA pastor on current issues impacting our faith community.
- 34% Chose New Voluntary Benefit Through our cost-saving vision care services provider.
- 643 Retired In Portico’s bundled benefits program — Well done, good and faithful servants!
- 7.3% Annuity Payment Increase Approved for ELCA annuitants in 2022.
- 2,564 Medical Visits via Text Through 98point6®, our virtual primary health care service.
- 8 Large Organizations Joined In 2021 — 1 ELCA college, 6 ELCA-affiliated social ministries, and 1 full communion partner social ministry.
- 2,880 Classes Completed in 2021 On Burnalong, Portico’s new online fitness and wellness benefit.
- 76% More Accessed Financial Coaching Through LSS of Minnesota in 2021 than during the same period in 2020.
- 87.8% Very Satisfied With our Customer Care Center service.
(Data as of Dec. 31, 2021; sources available upon request. Availability of and eligibility for benefits will vary.)
The Rev. Jeff Thiemann President & CEO