Text layers feature an additional section in the layer sidebar labeled Font, which gives you full control over the styling of the layer’s contents.
These settings define the shape and size of the text, as well as the spacing between the letters and lines of text.
- Font Menu: The font menu provides access to all fonts installed on your system. Choose a font from this menu to apply it to the text. The selected font will be applied to all text contained in the layer, including all content variations.
- Weight: If the selected font includes multiple weight variations, you can choose between them in this menu.
- Font size: Sets the size of your text, in points. A variety of size options are available in the menu, or you can type in any specific size you need. If you click on the size value, the size can also be adjusted using the up and down arrows on the keyboard.
- Letter spacing: Adjusts the kerning, or the horizontal space between the individual letters. Each font has a default kerning value, which is defined as 100%. Setting percentages above 100% increases the space between letter, while percentages lower than 100% brings the letters closer together.
- Font Fill Color: Click the color swatch to open a color picker and choose the color for your text. The color swatch will indicate your currently selected color.
- Font Outline Color: Click the color swatch to open a color picker and choose the color for your text outline. The color swatch will indicate your currently selected color.
- Font outline size: Sets the thickness of the outline applied to your text. The default value of 0% creates no outline.
- Styles: You can further control the styling of the text using various toggles, to turn different style options on or off. The four style options on the right side control which characters are uppercase and which are lowercase. Only one of those four options can be enabled at a time. Compare this example text with each of the styles below to see the effects they have.
- Strikethrough: Adds a horizontal line through the center of the text.
- Underline: Adds a horizontal line below the baseline of the text.
- All capitals: Displays all characters in the text as capital letters, regardless of the case in which they were entered.
- All lowercase: Displays all characters in the text as lowercase letters, regardless of the case in which they were entered.
- Small capitals: Capital letters in the source remain unchanged, and all lowercase letters in the text are changed to capital letters at a smaller size.
- First letter capitalized: The first letter of each word is capitalized, regardless of whether it was typed in uppercase or lowercase.
Use these settings to adjust how the text conforms to its bounding box.
- Align left: Aligns the left edge of the text with the left edge of the bounding box.
- Center horizontally: Aligns the center of the text with the horizontal center of the bounding box, so there is even spacing on the left and right sides.
- Align right: Aligns the right edge of the text with the right edge of the bounding box.
- Text indent: Sets the width, in pixels, of the indent applied to the start of each paragraph.
- Line height: Defines the distance between lines of text within paragraphs.
- Left margin: Determines the distance from the left edge of the bounding box to the left edge of the text paragraph.
- Right margin: Specifies the distance from the right edge of the bounding box at which a line break will be applied to lines of text.
- Gap before paragraph: Determines the distance from the top edge of the bounding box to the top edge of the text paragraph.
- Gap after paragraph: Sets the amount of spacing which will be used between one paragraph and the next.
The size of the text box can be adjusted automatically or manually.
- Auto: When Auto is selected, the text box will automatically resize as you type, to ensure your text fits within the bounding box.
- Manual: Select manual to specify an exact size for your text box, regardless of what text is entered. This is useful for specific layout, where the text needs to be conformed to fit a specific space. When the Manual option is selected, some additional controls appear.
- Width: Specifies the width of the text box.
- Height: Sets the height of the text box.
- Align bottom: Aligns the bottom edge of the text with the bottom edge of the bounding box, so any extra space appears at the top.
- Center vertically: Aligns the center of the text with the vertical center of the bounding box, so there is even spacing on the top and bottom.
- Align top: Aligns the top edge of the text with the top edge of the bounding box.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.