Dashcam is a feature that is included in the Premium+ subscription and that is here to help you by recording everything in front of your car using the camera of your smartphone/tablet and even has the option of automatically saving the video in case of a car crash.
You can use Dashcam either in the navigation mode with a route created, and also with no route in the map browsing mode.
How to use Dashcam?
Note: if your Android version is lower than 5, your device is no longer compatible with the latest Sygic app version.
1, Launch the Dashcam feature from the Quick Menu – the three-dot button at the bottom right corner of the screen, by tapping on the Dashcam icon.
2. A video preview screen will appear, and you start recording by tapping on the red circle in the bottom right corner.
3. To stop recording, tap on the red square in the bottom right corner, which is there after Dashcam begins recording.
4. To view and change the Dashcam settings, tap on the cogwheel icon in the top right corner.
5. To exit the video preview screen and return to the map/navigation, tap on the back arrow in the top left corner. If Dashcam is recording, this will not interrupt the video.
Where is the recorded video?
The Dashcam makes video files of a certain length, in the Dashcam settings you can choose between 2, 5, 10, or 15 minutes of recording per each video file.
The last 3 recorded videos are automatically stored in the folder DCIM/SygicDashcam/ in your device’s internal storage. When a 4th video file starts recording, the oldest out of the 3 previously stored videos is automatically deleted, this is done to limit the amount of storage space that the Dashcam feature uses.
Example: if your videos are set for the default 5-minute length, then after exactly 15 minutes of using Dashcam there will be 3 recorded videos for times 0:00 to 05:00, 05:00 to 10:00, and 10:00 to 15:00 .
After 17 minutes of using Dashcam, there will no longer be the video of the first 5 minutes of recording, at that point there will still be a video for times 05:00 to 10:00, 10:00 to 15:00, and the third video will now have minutes 15:00 to 17:00.
When you manage to record a collision or other interesting event on the road, of which you want to have a permanent copy of the video, just use any file manager app and copy the recorded video file from DCIM/SygicDashcam/ to any other folder, before it gets overwritten by further Dashcam recordings.
- Dashcam does not work with externally connected cameras (like head units in cars)
- Dashcam cannot be used at the same time as the Real View feature