American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO) diplomates with certificates expiring in 2021, 2022, and 2023, and who are up to date in all other Continuing Certification activities, may be eligible for a one-year extension of their time-limited certificate in order to successfully complete the Quarterly Questions® program.
This policy applies only to diplomates who:
- Are transitioning to the 5-year Quarterly Questions requirement (defined as possessing a certificate expiring December 31, 2021 through December 31, 2023).
- Diplomates with a certificate expiring in 2021 are eligible for up to 3 one-year extensions.
- Diplomates with a certificate expiring in 2022 are eligible for up to 2 one-year extensions.
- Diplomates with a certificate expiring in 2023 are eligible for 1 one-year extension.
- Do not have a successful Demonstration of Ophthalmic Cognitive Knowledge (DOCK) examination on file in their current 10-year certification period.
- Are up to date on all other Continuing Certification requirements as of year 10, including all activities and fees as indicated on the Continuing Certification status page. Being “up to date” in Quarterly Questions is defined as having attempted all available years of questions.
Diplomates who meet these criteria will be contacted by the ABO in the fall of each year.
An extension is valid for one calendar year, during which time the ABO will continue to report the diplomate’s status as “board certified.” However, no hard-copy certificate with a new expiration date will be issued. During the extension year, diplomates are required to pay the annual Continuing Certification fee.
Diplomates who successfully complete all required activities will receive a new 10-year time-limited certificate, effective January 1 of the following year. Diplomates who do not complete Continuing Certification by the close of the extension period will no longer be board certified and will be listed on the ABO website and its directories as not certified. Diplomates whose certification has lapsed may earn a new certificate by completing the Certificate Reinstatement Process.