It is the responsibility of all students enjoying the benefits of school citizenship to follow the established rules and procedures governing their school. The community is entitled to expect good citizenship from its students. It is, therefore, the District’s purpose to encourage students to learn how to properly exercise their rights, and to encourage students to meet their responsibilities by living up to the reasonable restrictions and appropriate standards of behavior described herein.
Students have a right to:
- Equal educational opportunity and freedom from discrimination in all phases of the educational process;
- Learn in a safe and positive learning environment;
- Receive high quality instruction that is consistent with state and district goals;
- Achieve at high levels;
- Know the requirements of each course of study and how the grade will be determined;
- Have access to their appropriate educational records;
- Expression and assembly consistent with the maintenance of an orderly and efficient educational process;
- Consult with educational staff at appropriate times; and
- Be involved in school activities by meeting the standards of the sponsoring organization.
Students have a responsibility to:
- Attend school daily, arriving on time to class and be ready to fully participate in the daily activity;
- Strive for academic and personal growth;
- Contribute positively to the school environment, allowing all students to have equal opportunity;
- Conduct themselves in a manner which will not disrupt their education or disrupt the education of others;
- Dress in a manner that is not disruptive to the educational environment or threatening to the health and safety of others;
- Identify themselves upon request to any school district personnel or authorities of the Bremerton School District Schools; and
- Be aware of school rules governing behavior and conduct themselves accordingly with those rules and regulations.
When and where do these rights and responsibilities apply?
- On all campuses of the District at all times;
- While on the school bus or other District sanctioned transportation and/or when waiting at the bus stop;
- At times and places where the principal or other school official or employee is supervising students;
- During school or District related events including field trips, athletic functions and other related activities
- When students are going to and from school