Lake Zurich High School recognizes that grades and credits are necessary elements of academic performance. We wish to emphasize to both parents and students that the aims of education are accomplished not by the pursuit of grades, but by the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. Faithful, patient study brings achievement and rewards not measured by grade averages and credit counts.
Lake Zurich High School has a standard grading scale that shall be considered in determining a student’s letter grade. This scale is as follows:
1. A passing grade shall not reflect a percentage lower than 60%. Note: These percentages apply in all classes in all cases.
2. Final exams count as 20% of the student’s semester grade.
3. Withdrawing from a class after the first six weeks will result in a grade of “WF.”
4. This system reflects a system which does not use rounding. (i.e. a grade of 89.8% would not be rounded up to 90% and a grade of B+ would be given.)
5. All courses receive a letter grade unless noted in the course description.
Please be advised that LZHS does not calculate class rank or recognize valedictorian and salutatorian.
Students achieving the highest honors, according to weighted GPA, will be denoted in the graduation program as follows:
Summa Cum Laude: 4.8 and above
Magna Cum Laude: 4.5 – 4.79
Cum Laud: 4.0 – 4.49