3-D Ceramics & Sculpture Program

The 3-D program at LZHS is a study in traditional and contemporary practices in ceramics and sculpture.  The program fosters a spirit of experimentation, student voice and strong working methods in both technical skills and critical thinking.  3-D students are encouraged to be creative practitioners solving design-based problems and developing their own visual and conceptual ideas.  Student artists will develop and practice ceramics and sculpture, while expressing themselves, and thinking and talking with others about their artwork.

A113 Ceramics

Prerequisites: None   
Open to: 9, 10, 11, 12
.5 CREDIT

If you love getting your hands dirty and working with clay, this is the course for you. This class offers a diverse approach to art of ceramics and the processes involved in the production of functional and non-functional wares.  Ceramics I will provide you with studio experience using varieties of clay, and various surface treatments on hand-built and wheel-thrown ceramics. You will be highly involved in ceramic production, clay and glaze maintenance and electric and alternative kiln firing practices.

A114 Sculpture

Prerequisites: None   
.5 CREDIT

If you are interested in building, fabricating, making and assembling three-dimensional forms, this is the course for you. The class offers a study of traditional and contemporary sculpture materials and practices.  Sculpture I will provide you studio experience in the creation of three-dimensional forms, with opportunities to work in wood, plaster, glass, wire, metal and found-objects. You will gain experience in assemblage, relief, additive, subtractive and installation sculptural processes.

A132 3-D Studio I

Prerequisites: Ceramics or Sculpture
.5 CREDIT

Now that you are hooked on Ceramics and Sculpture, it’s time to increase your knowledge and investigate your passion.  Artists in this course will create 3-dimensional forms within their chosen media of study that address an idea, concept or design-based problem.  This course may be repeated.

A134 3-D Studio II

Prerequisites: 3-D Studio I   
Open to: 10, 11, 12
.5 CREDIT

In this studio based class you will develop visual and conceptual Ceramics and Sculptural ideas.  You will gain additional media and technical knowledge through the development of a body of work that addresses a personal, conceptual theme and the investigation of an artistic style or voice. This course may be repeated.