2-D Drawing & Painting Program

The 2-D program at LZHS will explore Drawing and Painting as paths to personal expression. A blend of contemporary and traditional approaches to both classes will be utilized to allow for maximum experimentation, flexibility and creative possibilities. Students will be encouraged to pursue both the development of their artistic voice as well as technical growth. Skills taught in these courses are often considered the foundation of all art forms and are highly transferable to other media and areas of study.

A117 Drawing

Prerequisites: None
Open to: 9, 10, 11, 12
.5 CREDIT

If you have always loved to draw or doodle, this is the class is for you. Students will have the opportunity to explore the use of mark-making as a powerful form of communication and creative personal expression; through the investigation of a wide range of media, techniques and surfaces utilized by artists, designers and architects the world over. You will build a richer foundation of drawing knowledge and skills through both collaborative and independent research as you continue to develop your ideas in response to open-ended prompts.

A121 Painting

Prerequisites: None   
.5 CREDIT

If you are interested in exploring one of the most fluid, exciting and diverse art mediums, this class is for you. Students will have the opportunity to explore painting as a powerful form of communication and creative self-expression; through the investigation of a wide range of mediums, techniques and surfaces, made famous by artists around the world. You will build a stronger foundation of painting knowledge and skills through both collaborative and independent research as you continue to develop your ideas in response to open-ended prompts.

A128 2-D Studio I

Prerequisites: Drawing I or Painting I   
.5 CREDIT

Now that you have developed a passion for Drawing and Painting, you are ready to increase your knowledge and explore new possibilities through the creation of unique art pieces within your chosen media that address an idea, concept or design-based problem. This class will begin to explore your artistic voice and the investigation of a personal style. This course may be repeated.

A130 2-D Studio II

Prerequisites: 2-D Studio I   
Open to: 10, 11, 12
.5 CREDIT

You have followed your passion and learned much about Drawing and Painting and now it is time to put all that knowledge together, create a body of work and develop your artistic voice. Students will have the opportunity to gain additional media and technical knowledge through the development of a body of work that address a personal, conceptual theme and the investigation of an artistic style or voice within their chosen media. This course may be repeated.