- Hiring managers responsible for the staff selection process to fill vacant positions available for one year or longer initiate the process by creating a job request Tip 2.1.
- When creating a job request, hiring manager should use one of the following job opening types:
- Standard Requisition: Vacancy announcement for all positions which are not in the peacekeeping and
special political missions and not at the D-2 level.
- Recruit from Roster: Vacancy announcement which may be used by entities with approval to use
roster-based recruitment, peacekeeping operations, special political missions and other field operations.
- D2 Level Job Opening: Vacancy announcement for D-2 level positions.
- Continuous Job Opening: Vacancy announcement for generic job openings, which is used to create rosters for the field.
- There is also the Temporary Job Opening type which is used to fill short-term needs of less than one year, which is not within the scope of this manual.
- A job opening must be based on an approved classification document (generic job profile, standard job description or an individually classified job description) or a previously published job opening. These options are described below:
- Classification options
- Expand each item for a description:
- Generic job profile (GJP)
- If a GJP relevant to the position is available, hiring managers may utilize it as the basis for the creation of the job opening following classifiable advice indicating that the position is associable to the GJP.
- Standard job description (SJD)
- Once the evaluation criteria of an SJD based job opening are reviewed and approved by a Central Review Body (CRB), subsequent job openings utilizing the same SJD may be reviewed and approved by recruiters if no major deviation exists (i.e. requirements remain unchanged while desirables may vary depending on the focus of the position in the specific location).
- Individually classified job description
- The evaluation criteria of job openings based on the individually classified job description will be reviewed and approved by the central review bodies.
- Previously published job opening
- Job openings based on a previously published job opening within one year may be reviewed and approved by senior recruiters.
- Hiring managers should choose a job code, which will be reviewed by the staffing table managers and recruiters. The job code is the functional title of the position. It should be aligned with the approved classification document for the position to be advertised. The choice of job code is important because it determines the relevant roster for the job opening. For more information on the roster, read Chapter 12.
- After the Primary Job Opening Information, hiring managers are asked to fill out three additional pages with the assistance of the staffing table managers:
Hiring managers should focus on filling out the mandatory fields marked with an asterisk (*) on the screen. The staffing table managers are responsible for ensuring all fields are correctly filled out.
Last modified: 13 May 2023