(a) There are two competitors in a team who shall both race 1km each as follows:
- (i) On the starting signal the first competitor in each team races along the left side of the lane to round (clockwise or right hand in or as otherwise advised by the Referee) the turning poles 500m distant, and return 500m toward the start/turn flags.
- (ii) The first competitor rounds the first turning flag (clockwise or right hand in or as otherwise advised by the Referee) to visibly tag with the second competitor who is waiting in the changeover zone between the first and second turning flags in a position as directed by the relevant official (refer section 2.28 for definition of a tag).
- (iii) The tag must take place after the first turning flag and before the second rounds the second turning flag.
- (iv) The second competitor completes the same course before crossing the finish line.
- (v) The finish is judged on the competitor’s chest crossing the finish line.
- (vi) Jostling or obstructing another competitor so as to impede their progress is not permitted.
(b) Judges shall be placed to observe the conduct of the event and the change overs as well as determine competitors’ placings at the finish line.
(c) The finish is judged on the competitor’s chest crossing the finish line. Competitors must finish on their feet in an upright position.