(a) The aims of Inflatable Rescue Boat (hereafter referred to as ‘IRB’) competition are to:
- (i) Improve the prowess of IRB drivers and crewpersons (hereinafter collectively referred to as “crew”).
- (ii) Encourage crews to correctly equip and maintain their IRB and motors for optimum safe performance and reliability for both lifesaving patrol duties and competition.
- (iii) Allow crews to demonstrate their techniques and their abilities to perform a rescue.
- (iv) Bring crews together to discuss and improve IRB techniques and operations.
- (v) Promote safety awareness techniques for the crew and patients in simulated rescue scenarios.
(b) All IRB competition participants acknowledge and agree that:
- (i) They each release and will release SLSA from all claims that they have or may have had but for this release arising from or in connection with their membership of SLSA and/or participation in any SLSA authorised or recognised competition or activity whether conducted under this Manual or otherwise.
- (ii) They each indemnify and will keep indemnified SLSA to the extent permitted by law in respect of any claims arising as a result of, or in connection with their membership of SLSA and/or participation in any SLSA authorised or recognised competition or activity (whether conducted under this Manual or otherwise).
- (iii) In paragraphs (a) and (b) above the word “claims” means and includes any action, suit, proceeding, claim, demand, damage, penalty, cost or expense howsoever arising but does not include a claim in respect of any action, suit, etc. made by any person entitled to make a claim under a relevant SLSA insurance policy or under the SLSA constitution or regulations.
- (iv) The rules contained in this manual are made for the purpose of ensuring a safe and fair system or framework within which surf lifesaving competitions are to be regulated and conducted.