Lesson 11 – 30 minutes
- Attempt or perform a beach relay baton change
- Batons: flag/hose/pipe etc
- Marker cones
- If you are not confident coaching the skills in this lesson bring in a surf sports athlete or coach to help deliver the lesson
BEACH RELAY BATON CHANGE
- Incoming runner holds baton up early
- Outgoing runner forms a ‘V’ with hands and looks through ‘V’ at the baton
- Focus only on the baton, not on other teams or competitors
- Take baton as close to the changeover line as possible
- Use a participant to help you with this demonstration.
- Tell them you will talk them through the demonstration as it happens.
- Demonstrate the baton change with the participant while you talk the participants through the technique.
1. Set up a beach sprint area approximately 30-40 metres long with cones on the start and finish line to mark the lanes for teams to stand behind.
2. Divide the participants into an even number of teams so there is a minimum of 4 participants per team and allocate them to cones on the start and finish line.
3. Ask the teams on the start line to pick a starter to remain on the start line while the others stand back 5m.
4. Conduct a relay, having all participants in the team run through it once.
5. Discuss any issues that you may have seen in the first exercise.
6. Repeat the relay 4 or 5 times
7. Mix up the relays by making them skip, hop or jump etc.
8. Handicap teams that keep winning by making their track distance longer.