Lesson 8 – 15 minutes
- Attempt or perform catching a wave on a nipper board
- Nipper Boards
- Water Safety Personnel (1:5)
- If you are not confident coaching the skills in this lesson, bring in a surf sports athlete or coach to help deliver the lesson.
- Discuss the surf conditions and safety considerations before entering the water.
CATCHING A WAVE
- Look behind to watch for waves.
- Increase your speed as wave approaches.
- When on the wave paddle for at least two more strokes.
- Grab hold of the back handle and slide your body back enough to prevent nose diving.
- Keep feet apart for balance.
- Draw the shape of a board in the sand or lay a board on the sand (digging a hole where the fin is so the board lies flat).
- Demonstrate to the participants the correct body technique for catching a wave while talking them through the steps.
- Position the participants in a semi-circle and ask them to draw the shape of a board in the sand each with a board or lay a board on the sand (digging a hole where the fin is so the board lies flat).
- Ask participants to position themselves on their board as if they were paddling.
- Talk the participants through catching a wave and ask them to demonstrate what they should do.
- Tell them that a wave is approaching (they need to paddle faster).
- Tell them that they are on the wave (they take 2 more strokes and then pretend to grab the back handles while sliding their body back on the board keeping their feet apart).
- Walk around the semi-circle and check to see all participants are in the correct position, making adjustments as necessary.
- Line up the participants on the water’s edge and demonstrate how to catch a wave.
- Have participants practice their skills in small waves in an area close to shore and marked out by Water Safety Personnel.
- Finish the lesson by playing games such as ‘party waves’ where everyone tries to catch the same wave.
- Mix this up by seeing who can make it furthest to shore on a wave.
This lesson assumes participants have acquired previous skills from earlier awards:
- Positioning on a board and basic paddling technique.
- Entering the surf and bunny-hopping with a board.
- Sitting over a wave and paddling through a wave.
Thanks for your feedback.