Lesson 8 – 40 minutes
- Attempt or perform body surfing on a wave
- Water Safety Personnel (1:5).
- If you are not confident coaching the skills in this lesson, bring in a surf sports athlete or coach to help deliver the lesson.
BODY SURFING TECHNIQUE
- Keep body stiff with hands out in front (above head).
- Keep head down between arms.
- Strong fast kick.
- To breathe, take a single arm stroke with one hand out in front and breathe to the side.
- Demonstrate the correct body surfing technique for the participants to see.
- Organise the participants into a semi circle.
- Ask the participants to make their body as ‘stiff as a board’ in the correct body boarding technique.
CATCHING A WAVE BODY SURFING
- Face the shore.
- Watch behind you for an approaching wave.
- Just before the wave hits, take a deep breath.
- Jump forward or swim hard to match the speed of the wave.
- Keep your body stiff and kick fast.
- Discuss the technique for catching a wave.
- Take participants into waist-deep water.
- Line up participants facing the beach.
- Ask the participants to get into their ‘stiff as a board’ position.
- When you see a wave is about to reach the participants get them to bend over and push off with the wave.
- Repeat this until they get the idea and can do it themselves.
- If you have an advanced group of participants, move into deeper water and try catching waves by swimming onto them.
Thanks for your feedback.