Lesson 5 – 40 minutes
- Attempt or perform catching a wave on a bodyboard
- Water Safety Personnel (1:5)
- If you are not confident coaching the skills in this lesson, bring in a surf sports athlete or coach to help
deliver the lesson.
- Teach the participants the following golden rules of bodyboarding
- You need to be lying in the centre of the board.
- Hold on to the bodyboard with both hands either over the front of the board or on the side near the front
- Draw an outline of a body board on the sand or place a body board on the sand and use it to demonstrate the correct body positioning on the board.
- Discuss what will happen if you are too far forward or back on a board (too far forward, you will nose dive; too far back and you will find it hard to catch waves)
- Organise the participants into a semi-circle and ask them to draw an outline of a bodyboard or lay on their bodyboard on the sand.
- Ask participants to position themselves on their board on the sand correctly.
- Walk around the semi-circle and check to see all participants are in the correct position, making adjustments as necessary
CATCHING A WAVE
- Stand up holding the board on the sides near the top in two hands
- Look behind you for an oncoming wave
- Just before the wave hits you launch yourself forward and kick hard
- Keep the front of the board out of the water to prevent nose-diving. (Can also be attempted in a paddling start which needs a big initial kick to catch wave)
- Using a bodyboard, talk the participants through catching a wave
- Make your way down to knee-depth water with participants and water safety personnel
- Ask the participants to get onto their board in the correct position
- Have some fun with the participants and see if they can perform the following skills:
- Duck dive
- Wipe Out
- Sitting on your board
- Line up participants with their body boards facing the beach
- Ensure they are all holding their bodyboards correctly
- When you see a wave is about to reach the participants, get them to bend over and push off with the wave
- Repeat this until they get the idea and can do it themselves.
Thanks for your feedback.