Lesson 9 – 30 minutes
- Attempt or perform a board relay race
- Nipper Boards.
- Water Safety Personnel (1:5).
- One board-paddler completes the course at a time.
- When returning to the beach the board-paddler must drag or carry the board up the beach towards the next board-paddler.
- The next board-paddler is waiting with their board.
- When the first board-paddler tags the next, they can enter the water.
- This is repeated for the next transition.
- Introduce the principles of a board relay.
- Note: It is most likely you will only have enough boards for one per team.
- If this is the case then remind the participants that they will need to swap boards during the transition for this lesson.
- Divide the participants into teams of three or more and provide each team with a board.
- Line each team up facing the water with one water safety personnel per team as a marker 20m out to sea.
- Make sure each team is 5 metres apart so they do not run into each other.
- Explain to each participant that they need to go to the left of their water safety marker.
- Instruct participants to wait until tagged before their next teammate can go and encourage participants to do some bunny hops on their way out.
- Start the board relay when all the participants understand the activity and are ready
- Repeat the relay 2 or 3 times.
This lesson is a progression of board skills through the junior development award program. It assumes participants have acquired previous skills from earlier awards. The assumed skills for this lesson are:
- Positioning on a board and basic paddling technique.
- Entering the surf and bunny-hopping with a board.
- Sitting over a wave and paddling through a wave.
- Exiting the water with a board. Catching a broken and un-broken wave.
Thanks for your feedback.