Lesson 9 – 30 minutes
- Attempt or perform basic running technique on sand
- Marker cones.
- If you are not confident coaching the skills in this lesson bring in a surf sports athlete or coach to help deliver the lesson.
- Point feet straight ahead and place them in a straight line.
- Maintain high knee lift.
- Bend elbows at 90 degrees.
- Hold hands slightly clenched.
- Swing hands to eye level on the forward swing.
- Lean body slightly forward and relax arms, body, shoulders and head.
- Hold head steady in a normal position looking 20–40 metres down the track.
- Find an area that has a hard surface (i.e. grass outside the surf club). Demonstrate the correct running technique (as per coaching points).
- Line participants up on the grass/hard surface.
- Position yourself 20 metres in front of the them.
- Ask participants to walk towards you lifting legs high and swinging arms high.
- Point out any incorrect technique and have them repeat going back the other way.
- Repeat the exercise but this time a bit faster.
- Repeat again but this time running fast with a focus on leaning slightly forward and looking forward in a relaxed fashion (you may need to be 30 metres back this time).
- Move to the beach and do the same skills on the sand.
- Skills can be practiced by playing games and setting up relays. Games and relays can be either walking and/or running.
Thanks for your feedback.