Lesson 3 – 30 minutes
- Recognise the importance of hydration, nutrition and exercise as part of participation in the junior program
- Collect posters regarding hydration, nutrition and exercise from your local or state sports association.
- Ensure all participants bring drink bottles to the session.
- Sit the participants in a circle so everyone can see each other.
- Go around the circle and ask each participant to tell the group what they have had to drink before the lesson.
- Discuss the following facts:
- Your body is made of 60% water.
- You lose water from your body daily (i.e. through sweating).
- Ask each participant to talk about what they had to eat before coming to Nippers.
- Explain why we need to eat before exercising (i.e. It gives you the sustained energy to last the whole lesson).
- Discuss the need to rest between eating and exercising (i.e. you need to let your food settle and your body process the food before exercising).
- Invite the participants to talk about other activities they do during the week to stay active.
- Explain what the benefits of exercising are (i.e. keeping fit so you don’t get tired as fast, less chance of getting injuries etc).
- Discuss the need to stretch before exercise/activities (i.e. warms up your muscles, gets the blood pumping around your muscles to prepare your body for the activities).
- Ask all participants to fill up their water bottles and make their way down to the beach.
- Take the participants for a beach run as a warm-up.
- To finish the lesson, get the group to do some stretches and all drink some water together
Thanks for your feedback.