Lesson 7 – 20 minutes
- Enjoy playing in the surf
- Develop confidence in the water
- Water Safety Personnel (Recommended 1:1).
- Sit the participants in a group on the beach facing out to sea.
- Discuss the water and surf by asking the following questions:
- Who likes swimming in the sea? (Note those that don’t raise their hand so you can watch them later in the lesson).
- What is different about swimming in the sea, than swimming in the pool? (The sea has salt water and waves, the pool has fresh water and no waves).
- Discuss what a participant should do if they are not enjoying being in the water. (Tell an Age Manager, parent, helper, water safety personnel who will help you).
- Take the participants on a short beach run to warm up.
- Snake the run into ankle deep water as you run around (but don’t stop and go into the water).
- Line up the participants on the edge of the water facing out to sea.
- Get the participants to hold hands and walk into the water slowly.
- When in ankle deep water stop and tell the participants to jump the waves as they get to them, do this for ten or so waves.
- Tell the participants that on the count of 3 they need to sit down in the water.
- Once sitting down get the participants to roll over onto their stomachs.
- Get them to stay in that position until a number of waves have washed over their body.
- Ask the participants to stand and turn to face out to sea again.
- Walk further into the water until knee deep.
- Repeat activity (sit, roll over, have waves wash over them).
Thanks for your feedback.