Lesson 9 – 25 minutes
- Enjoy playing beach flags
- Marker Cones.
- Flags: hose/flag/pipe/plastic tube etc.
- Sit the participants in a group on the beach.
- Tell the participants they are about to play beach flags and discuss what beach flags is
(it’s a game to practice the speed and reaction needed by a lifesaver to respond to emergencies).
- Introduce the basic beach flags instructions.
- BASIC BEACH FLAGS INSTRUCTIONS
- There is a start and finish line.
- You will line up on the start line facing away from the finish line.
- You lie down on your stomach with your chin on your hands.
- On the finish line there are flags placed in the sand.
- When you hear ‘Go’ you can get up and turn around and run for a flag.
- When you get to the flag bend over and pick it up.
- If you have a helper or a participant who knows how to do beach flags then use them to demonstrate.
- Set up a flag in the sand and then walk 10m away from it.
- Lie down on the sand on your stomach facing away from the flag.
- Get up, turn around, head for the flag and pick it up (talk the participants through this while it is being demonstrated).
- Set up a start and finish line using marker cones and lines in the sand (no more than 10m apart).
- Line the participants up on the start line facing away from the flags line (if you have a large group then create smaller lines behind each other).
- Have a helper place a flag on the finish line for every participant lined up on the start line. The helper will need to stay there and help for the whole lesson.
- Have the participants lay down facing away from the finish line, on their stomachs with their feet on the start line and hands tucked under their chin.
- On your command ‘Go’ the participants get up and race for a flag.
- Repeat the activity 3 or 4 times.
Thanks for your feedback.