Patrol swaps enables members to indicate when they will be unable to attend a patrol and can invite other club members to swap for them. Club members can also accept to swap for another member who is unable to patrol. The Patrol swap performs the following: –
1. Displays an invite to eligible members in the club that a member needs a swap.
2. Enables a member to view swap requests they are eligible to perform based on the Awards they hold.
3. Enables members to confirm they can do a swap for another member.
4. Sends a notification email when a swap has been accepted

Getting Started
To use the Patrol Swap function members need to: -
1. Have a Members Area account – for more information on creating a Members Area account
2. Be in a Patrol Team and meet the Award requirements of the position they hold in the Patrol team.
3. Be rostered for Patrols for a date/s in the future
4. Meet any other club By-Laws relating to patrol swaps.

How to Request a Swap in a Patrol Roster
If a member is rostered for a patrol in the future and they need to get a swap they will see the following screenshot. They would need to click “I need a substitute”. A pop up will appear “Do you want to request a substitution for this patrol?” Click “OK”.

The screen will now update and display as “Requesting Substitute”.

How to View the Status of a Swap Request or Cancel the Request
At any time a member can check the status of a requested swap by clicking “Substitutions“ from the drop down. The screenshot below shows:-
1. A Patrol that still requires a swap.
2. How to cancel the request for a swap.

How members can see who needs a Swap and how to accept the Swap
To view who needs a swap login to the Members Area > Patrols tab > Patrol Swaps. Scroll down until you see the section “Below are details of patrols that other members have identified as needing a substitute”. You will then be able to view who requires a swap including the date, time, Member, Team, Position and the option to confirm that you can do the swap. To accept the patrol click “I can do this”. A pop up will appear “Do you want to accept the substitution request on this patrol?” Click OK. Once accepted the patrol will no longer display in the section “details of patrols that other members have identified as needing a substitute”.

How a member can see who they accepted a Swap for
In the previous example the member confirmed they could do a patrol in IT Dept Best Team on Saturday, 30 June 2018 0900-1000hrs. The member who accepted to do the swap can view this by clicking the Patrol Roster sub-tab and ticking the box “Display only patrol where I’m substituting for someone else” and click Update.

How to Cancel a Swap You Have Accepted
If a Member is no longer able to do the swap they can click the “Undo” option (color-red) (see screenshot above). A pop up will then display “Do you want to cancel your substitution on this patrol?” You’ll no longer be able to perform this substitution”. Click OK. The swap patrol will then be removed from your patrol list.
NOTE: Clubs manage the time-frames for all swap functions in Surfguard. It is important to check with your club what the time-frames are at the club you patrol at.

The member who requested the swap will be able to view in their Patrols > Substitutions tab.

Display One – If person who accepted the Sub and has not clicked the “Undo”
The name of the person who has accepted the sub, the date & time they accepted it and their mobile number displays.

Display Two – If person who accepted the Sub has clicked the “Undo”
The status reverts back to Requesting Substitute and indicates the Sub has been cancelled.

Patrol Swaps FAQ’s
What happens if I get a confirmed swap and then I find out I am free to patrol?
Contact the member using the contact details provided in the Substitutions tab and ask them to Undo their confirmed sub. Default display is 48 hours.
NOTE: Clubs manage the time-frames for all swap functions via Surfguard. It is important to check your club’s time-frames

Is there a blackout period for when you can’t “Undo” a swap you have confirmed?
The default blackout period is 48 hours prior to start of patrol.
NOTE: Clubs manage the time-frames for all swap functions via Surfguard. It is important to check your club’s time-frames

Revision: 18
Last modified: 31 May 2019