Many over the counter drugs and prescription drugs have potential side effect that may impair a driver and place them and the students they transport at risk. It is important that you review any medications you take with your physician to insure you are able to safely drive your bus.
To minimize the dangers of using medications, employees should:
- Ask their doctor or pharmacist how the medication might affect their ability to drive safely.
- Read the labels of any medication and follow instructions exactly.
- Never mix medications without first checking with your health professional.
- Never mix alcohol with any medications.
- Never take medications that have been prescribed to other people.
- Ask your health professional for non-impairing alternatives.