Bus stops are approved by the Board of Education. Drivers cannot move or add stops without prior approval from the transportation office. If a driver believes a stop may be unsafe it should be brought to the attention of the Transportation Dispatcher. Drivers are not to wait excessively at a stop for students; they are told to be at the stop ten minutes early. If you get to a stop and no one is there radio it into the office with the time.
Loading and Unloading
More students are killed while getting on or off a school bus each year than are killed as passengers inside of a school bus. As a result, knowing what to do before, during, and after loading or unloading students is critical.
- Approach cautiously at a slow rate of speed.
- Look for pedestrians, traffic, or other objects before, during, and after coming to a stop.
- Continuously check all mirrors.
- If the school bus is so equipped, activate alternating flashing amber warning lights at least 200 feet or approximately 5-10 seconds before the school bus stop.
- Turn on right turn signal and about 100-300 feet or approximately 3-5 seconds before stopping.
- Continuously check mirrors to monitor danger zones for students, traffic and other objects.
- Move as far as possible to the right on the traveled portion of the roadway.
- Bring school bus to a full stop with the front bumper at least 10 feet away from students at the designated stop (this forces the students to walk towards you and you have a better view of their movements).
- Place transmission in Park/Neutral and set the parking brake at each stop
- Activate alternating red lights when traffic is a safe distance from the school bus and ensure stop arm is extended.
- Once last traffic check, to ensure all vehicles are stopped, before opening the door.
- Students should wait in a designated location for the school bus, facing the bus as it approaches.
- Students should board the bus only when signaled by the driver.
- Monitor all mirrors continuously.
- Count students at the stop and make sure the number matches as they board the bus and remind them to sit facing forward and fasten their seat belts.
- Confirm everyone is seated before moving the bus.
- One last mirror check to verify no student is running towards the bus.
- If you cannot account for a student outside, secure the vehicle, remove the key, check around and underneath the bus.
- Close the service door.
- Engage the transmission.
- Release the parking brake.
- Turn on left turn signal.
- Check mirrors.
- If a considerable amount of traffic is present allow them to disperse.
*When it is safe, move the bus to enter traffic flow and continue the route.
A driver is to assure everyone is seated until the vehicle is motionless.
Basically, follow the first steps of the loading procedures, but reverse the action starting with:
- Count the number of students as they disembark and make sure everyone is accounted for as they walk away.
- If a student needs to stand at the stop instruct them to move away at least 10 feet from the front bumper so the driver can have eye contact.
If a student or students must cross the roadway they should follow these instructions:
- Walk approximately 10 feet away from the side of the school bus to a position where you can see them.
- Walk to a location at least 10 feet in front of the right corner of the bumper, and remain away from the front of the school bus.
- Instruct them to stop and look in all directions to make sure the roadway is clear and safe.
- Instruct them to check if the red flashing lights are still flashing.
- Instruct them to wait for your signal before crossing the roadway.
- Upon your signal instruct the student to cross far enough in front of the school bus to be in your view.
- Instruct student(s) to stop at the edge of the bus, check for traffic and wait for your signal to continue to cross the roadway.
- All loading and unloading shall be done on school grounds at designated areas.
- All warning lamps shall be turned off while loading or unloading on the school grounds in order that traffic may proceed at the legal rate. The ONLY exception to this would be buses that unload by the Morris Hills Science Wing.