LEAP-Achievement is available for children who have been evaluated by a licensed psychologist for a learning disability, processing deficit, ADHD, or other conditions affecting their ability to achieve success. Please remember to speak about individuals with a “person first” mindset. For example, do not say “he is an ADHD student”, but rather, “he is a student with ADHD”. Students must be able to participate in the regular classroom setting in all content areas, meet the academic standards for their grade level using the approved accommodations, and model the GRACE code of conduct. The process for entry into LEAP-A follows:
For Students Already Enrolled At GRACE
- Parent and classroom teacher discussion of concerns
- Teacher discussion with principal regarding concerns
- Classroom teacher receives signed Observation and Assessment Consent Form from the parent
- Classroom teacher submits a Teacher Questionnaire Referral form
- Program Director sets up a classroom observation
- Program Director meets with the classroom teacher to discuss findings from the internal observations
- If a specific learning disability, processing problem, or developmental need is suspected, a meeting will be held with the parents and they will be referred to a licensed child psychologist for a comprehensive evaluation
- Once testing results are received, and reviewed by the principal, teachers, and the Program Director, an academic support plan is designed
- Program Director, teacher, and principal then meet with the parents and student (when appropriate) to discuss the Academic Support Plan
- Appropriate fees will be assessed for services
- If program services ARE needed and the parent declines, a waiver will be signed.
For New Students
- If a student applying has already been evaluated, a current copy of the evaluation must be submitted with the admissions application.
- After reviewing the application and other admissions documentation, the Program Director will determine if GRACE can meet the student’s needs.
- If there are concerns or questions about a student’s ability for academic success and there is no evaluation, the Program Director will contact the family to request further information or an educational evaluation. Testing must be completed before acceptance is granted.
- Program Director will participate in the admissions interview and discuss results of testing and recommendations.
- If enrollment in LEAP-A is deemed necessary for the child’s success, and the school can meet his academic needs, the Program Director, principal, specialist, parent, and child’s teacher(s) will discuss the development of an Academic Support Plan.
- If a student is admitted to GRACE contingent on their participation in LEAP-A, he/she must complete one year of the program or obtain administrative approval prior to exiting