Fire Prevention – Paper
The fire code states that no more than 15% of walls may be covered by paper. Additionally, as also stated in , nothing may be put on the doors. The code states that nothing may be hung from the ceiling.
Fire Prevention – Electrical
Electrical fires are a primary concern in classrooms. Please note the following guidelines:
- No paper, cloth, or other flammables should be near outlets.
- Electric, extension, flexible, and drop cords cannot pass through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors or floor coverings, and cannot be subject to environmental damage.
- All plugs must be grounded (three pronged).
- Only one portable appliance can be run from an extension cord.
- An extension cord can be used only as temporary wiring.
- Extension cords must be certified by a listed organization like Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or CSA.
- Extension cords must plug straight into approved receptacles.
- The current capacity of the extension cord must not be exceeded.
- Each classroom should have an approved power strip for charging computers.
- The cord cannot be attached to the structure or the building.
- The cord must be maintained in good condition.
- Approved surge protectors may be used. They must plug directly into a wall receptacle and cannot plug into another surge protector.
- When not in use, TV carts and small appliances should be unplugged.
- Tables cannot be kept in front of pull stations or fire extinguishers.
- Fire doors and outside doors should not be propped open.
- Check outlets once or twice a year and notify the office of any broken ones so they can be replaced.