At GRACE Christian School we believe that each student is a unique and special creation of God and should be treated as image bearers of God – Gen 1:26, 27.
GRACE uses specific bullying prevention approaches which emphasize the following:
- using scripts and role plays to develop skills;
- students are encouraged to take action by knowing what to do when they witness other students engaged in acts of bullying or retaliation, including seeking adult assistance and not remaining a silent bystander;
- helping students understand the dynamics of bullying and cyber-bullying, including the underlying power imbalance;
- emphasizing cyber-safety, including safe and appropriate use of electronic communication technologies;
- enhancing students’ skills for engaging in healthy relationships and respectful communications; and engaging students in a safe, supportive school environment that is respectful of diversity and difference.
Reporting Bullying Situations by Students, Parents/Guardians and Others
GRACE Christian School expects students, parents or guardians, and others who witness or become aware of an instance of bullying or retaliation involving a student to report it to the principal or designee. Reports may be made anonymously, but no disciplinary action will be taken against an alleged aggressor solely on the basis of an anonymous report. Students, parents or guardians, and others may request assistance from a staff member to complete a written report. Students will be provided practical, safe, private and age-appropriate ways to report and discuss an incident of bullying with a staff member, or with the principal or designee.
Teacher and Administration Responses to Bullying
Teacher and administration responses to a bullying situation will include some of the following:
- Safety of the target
- Investigation of the situation
- Determination of appropriate action/s:
- Teaching appropriate behavior through skills-building
- Taking disciplinary actions
- Promoting safety for the target and others
- Prohibiting retaliatory action