- Pull nearest fire alarm station
- Ensure evacuation of building begins immediately (follow evacuation procedures in next section)
- Call 911 for emergency assistance
- If safe, send staff member to investigate (teachers must remain with students and immediately take roll call to account for all students)
- Notify administration immediately if a student is missing — see phone list or notify staff member assigned to your check point.
- Fire extinguishers should be used only by trained individuals.
- Staff member should be in front to direct first responders to the location, size and type of fire (i.e., What is burning? How big is the fire?)
- Office personnel will account for teachers, assistants, office, custodial and cafeteria staff.
- You wait for the Fire Chief or Incident Commander to give permission to re-enter the building. Do not use alarms or intercom to signal occupants — you must give a verbal or manual command to those assembled outside the evacuated building.
Thanks for your feedback.