If GRACE Christian School enters into a Virtual Learning Experience (VLE) or if students opt for virtual learning, there is an understanding that there are some differences within a VLE as opposed to a traditional classroom setting.
Video Recording for Virtual Learning
- Teachers will be recording instruction to assist students who are attending classes virtually.
- The recording will only be shared through a system that is accessible to the class members (Google Drive, Google Classroom, or Talon).
- The recording should not be made public by parents, students, or teachers.
- Any unauthorized sharing of class recordings will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.
Parent Expectations for Virtual Learning
- With the added freedom and availability it is important that parents help maintain the integrity of the learning environment and reinforce the teacher’s instructional authority in the classroom.
- Parents will help students establish routines and structure while they learn new time management skills and begin to understand how to be a productive learner in the VLE.
- Keep an open dialogue with students and help keep them on track. Check-in with them regularly, ask questions, etc.
The following guidelines are encouraged to maintain a conducive home learning environment:
- There can be many distractions for students while adjusting to the VLE at home. Please help your student maintain an appropriate environment to be effective in their VLE.
- For example, keeping the TV off while they are working, helping younger siblings understand that it is not playtime, and generally keeping distractions to a minimum.
- Have your child place their phone in a location within the house that is not on their person and will not be a distraction during their VLE times.
Student Expectations for Virtual Learning
- Students will continue to follow the school Conduct Code and Acceptable Use Policy during Virtual Learning.
- Students will not give or receive unauthorized aid on assignments or assessments.
- Students should be respectful in their communication with teachers and other students.
Strategies for Working at Home
- Students should use their computers solely for class purposes during VLE’s.
- Students should have an intentional space at home where they can focus on classwork.
- It is recommended that students find a suitable study location rather than a bed.
- Students will need to be aware of how they manage their time recognizing the different expectations in a virtual learning environment.