- extendedReach Plugin Technical Overview
- Redirected My Documents Folders
- OS X – Apple Computers
- Related Topics
This article is meant to provide you with a technical overview of the extendedReach Plugin.
If you have a question not addressed here, you can search at the bottom of this article in
Related Topics or you can Contact Support.
extendedReach Plugin Technical Overview
extendedReach utilizes a companion application for PCs running Microsoft Windows called the extendedReach Plugin.
The extendedReach Plugin works with the extendedReach web application to accomplish the following:
- Automates the process of editing documents (e.g. MS Word) stored in extendedReach.
Use of the plugin allows users to edit documents on the extendedReach website as if they were on their PC’s desktop. The plugin automates the download of documents, launches Microsoft Word (or other), and automates the upload of the modified file back to the extendedReach website.
- After successful upload, removes documents with potentially confidential information from the PC.
The extendedReach plugin downloads documents to an “extendedReach” folder on the PC while it is being edited by the user. This “extendedReach” folder is automatically created by
the plugin and can be created either in the “My Documents” folder or the “System Temporary” folder depending upon your agency’s preferences. Upon successful upload of the document back to extendedReach website, the extendedReach plugin will remove the local copy of the document from the “extendedReach” folder.
1. Download the plugin from https://plugin.extendedreach.com
2. Install the plugin using administrator rights on all Windows PCs
3. When the plugin is in use (activated by the website), it will appear in the PC’s system tray:
Image: “eR Plugin Icon”
Redirected My Documents Folders
- Requires changing your organization preferences to use a default download folder called “System Temporary” instead of “My Documents”.
- This can be changed under the menu option: “Administration > Organization Settings > Organization Preferences” in the “Settings” tab’s “General” section.
OS X – Apple Computers
- The extendedReach plugin is not necessary to use extendedReach on an Apple computer.
- Please refer to Editing Documents on a Mac
Please submit help requests to support@extendedReach.com