The Upload link is designed to facilitate the upload of images to the Photo Portal. After selecting this option you will be presented with the upload metadata form as shown in the screenshot below.
The upload form is a list of metadata fields which serve to collect information about the assets being uploaded. The information entered in these fields will accompany the images into the portal (and ultimately into Asset Manager). This metadata will be used to provide structure, organization, searchability, and context for the assets.
The metadata collected via the upload form is ‘batch’ metadata; it applies to all the images uploaded in the associated batch. Therefore, you should only upload batches of images that share the same basic metadata. (Images with separate metadata should be submitted to the portal in a separate upload batch). Users are encouraged to enter as much information as possible for each upload batch. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) or in the Required Fields section are mandatory fields.
These fields are required to provide structure and organization for the uploaded assets and must be filled out before the upload can be initiated.
The upload form stores and remembers your previous entries to save you time. Remember to update and change information that is unique to each upload.
- Add to collection – Choose whether to create a new Collection containing the assets you are uploading, or choose to add assets to an existing Collection.
- Collection Name – Define the name of the new collection. (If uploading to an existing collection this field will not be visible.)
- Collection Type – Choose “Photo Shoot”
- Resource Type – Choose “Photo”
- Brand – Name of the magazine these photos are intended
- Requester – Choose uploader’s name
- Photographer – Name of the photographer who captured the images being uploaded. Click Edit to add or find a photographer
For a description of the specific type of data being requested for each metadata field, please see Appendix A, at the end of this document.
Note: The metadata fields listed in the metadata entry panel may change over time, and may be refined to better fit the needs of the varying TEN brands. As such, the metadata entry panel may differ from the screenshot above. Some examples of the metadata include: Location, Headline, Keywords, Description, and Capture Date.
When you have entered the appropriate metadata for your images, click “Next” at the bottom of the form. This will open a new window for selecting and adding images to upload into the system.
Selecting and Uploading Images
The upload images dialog will open within the browser window. You may see a pop-up message requesting permission for the uploader applet. If so, choose ‘Trust’ or ‘Allow’.
There are two methods for uploading, either directly to Photo Portal or to a Quad local server.
Photo Portal Upload
You can add images two ways, either by using the “Add Files” button or by drag-and-drop the images. Using the “Add files” button at the bottom of the window will present you with the standard ‘Open’ dialog box for your operating system. Navigate thru the dialog box to select the images you wish to upload. To use drag-and-drop simply drag your images onto the window.
Once assets are added to the uploader, review your images and make sure that only assets you wish to upload are present. (You can remove any images that you do not want to upload by clicking on the red minus sign on the right side. Click the “Start Upload” button to start the upload process. Your status will be tracked with progress bars in the dialog, make sure to leave the upload window open until the upload completes.
QuadNet Upload allows users to faster method when submitting a large amount of data than the standard browser upload method. To upload to the local Quad Server you will need an Upload ID.
- Follow the steps above until you get to the upload window.
- You will receive a confirmation upload email which will contain your Upload ID
- Copy the Upload ID, then paste it as the name of the local folder on your computer which contains your images. (Your images must reside in a folder which is named with the Upload ID.)
- Copy this folder into your local QuadNet folder “_Images_to_PhotoPortal_BETA.” Your images will be then transferred to the Photo Portal. For your convenience a list of Quad Net servers has been listed here.
- Wait for images to transfer and appear in Photo Portal within the corresponding collection.