Academic excellence is a core value of CHCA. To achieve excellence, it is important that students’ school attendance is a priority. To help facilitate our attendance program we ask that you follow these procedures:
- If a student does not arrive at school, we want to ensure they are safe. Please submit the online Report Student Absence form no later than 8:30 a.m. on the day your child is not at school.
- Any child attending a full day program arriving after 9:40 a.m. will be counted as a half day absent and any child leaving before 2:00 p.m. will be counted as a half day absent.
- Students are responsible to make up work that is missed during absences and will be given full credit if the absence is excused. Teachers allow students the same number of days absent to complete missed work (i.e. if a student is absent three days, they have three days to complete missed work.)
- Missed assignments will be sent home with a sibling or be available in the office for pick-up. Assignments will be ready after 2:45 p.m. the day of the request.
- The parent submits an online Report Student Absence form.
- School starts at 8:30 a.m.; a student is considered tardy if they arrive after 8:33 a.m.
- If a student arrives after the three minute grace period, the parent must escort your child to the front desk to sign in and the child will receive a tardy slip before proceeding directly to their homeroom.
- Frequent tardiness is a concern and will be addressed with the student’s parents. Parents will be notified by letter after a student has been tardy 5 times in a quarter. Chronic tardiness and or absenteeism will result in a mandatory conference with the Principal.
- Should an early dismissal be necessary, the parent submits an online Report Student Absence form.
- The parent/authorized person (who must be 18 years or older) must sign out the student at the front desk, then take the Early Dismissal slip to the child’s classroom and present it to the teacher.
- Upon re-entering the school the same day after an early dismissal, parents report with the student to the main office for a re-entry slip. DO NOT send the child back into the school alone! The re-entry slip is presented to the teacher for admittance back into class.
In the case of a divorce or separation, a student will only be released to the parent who has custody unless written permission is provided. Custodial documents and Retaining Orders must be on file in the school office.
Extended Absence (3 or More Whole Days):
- Complete the online Report Student Absence form at least one week prior to the absence.
- Teachers will provide missed work the week prior to departure as is practical. Please be aware that your child may need to complete other missed assignments upon return to school.
- While family vacations are important, we ask that they be scheduled during school breaks.
- We ask that trips be limited to one per year and discourage trips of more than five days.