Transport Expresso can send e-mails notifications to individuals to:
- Notify approvers when changes are waiting to be approved (provided the changes are associated with one or more tasks).
- Notify team members that their changes have been imported successfully or with errors. It is possible to additionally notify administrators when a transport is imported with errors.
- In the case of branched development systems, notify team members if their changes should not be imported because of conflicts with changes already made in the project development system.
- Notify team members when changes are waiting to be tested by them (provided that the changes are associated with one or more tasks).
- Notify administrators when a serious error occurs that prevents changes from being imported or an import error occurs. Non administrator users can also be informed of these issues for specific transport paths by maintaining entries in table /BTI/TE_NOTIFUSR.
In some cases, the notification e-mail also contains an attachment to allow an individual to action the e-mail immediately. For example, an approver can double-click on an attachment to display further information about the changes waiting to be approved and then approve them if desired.
In order to send e-mail notifications, report /BTI/TE_RNOTIFICATION_ENGINE must be scheduled to run periodically in the Transport Expresso domain controller. This report allows you to filter those target SAP systems that various types of notifications should be sent for, as sometimes you may not want each type of notification to be sent for each target SAP system.
Before sending a notification e-mail, Transport Expresso attempts to determine the recipient’s Internet e-mail address from their SAP user ID. If an Internet address is not specified then the e-mail is sent to the SAP user ID and must be viewed using the SAPoffice Business Workplace (transaction SBWP).
In order to send e-mails to Internet e-mail addresses, a connection to an external e-mail server must have been configured for the Transport Expresso domain controller. In systems running on SAP’s Web Application Server 6.20 and higher, this is easily done using SAPconnect’s built-in SMTP connection.
Transport Expresso provides HTML templates, stored in the Web Repository (transaction SMW0), for each type of notification. These templates can be copied and adapted if desired.