Each device instance on the desktop has a series of icons around its edges that let you connect it to other devices, rename it, get information about it and delete it. Also, automated controls have an automation frame and automation value icon that indicate their automated status and let you return to it after you have changed it. Note: You can access additional functionality by using the device, control, pattern and cable and connector context menus.
- Input connector: An arrow pointing towards the device represents an input connector that accepts a signal to be processed by the device. Sound input connectors are labeled “IN” or “INPUT”. Note input connectors are labeled “NOTE”.
- Output connector: An arrow pointing away from the device represents an output connector that delivers a signal generated by the device. Sound output connectors are labeled “OUT” or “OUTPUT”. Note output connectors are labeled “NOTE”. Note: Cables connected to the individual instrument outputs of drum machines remove those instruments’ sound from their master output mix.
- Device name: A name that identifies the device. When you create a device, Audiotool assigns a default name to it. The name also appears in the device and track list to group all the tracks that belong to a device. To change it, double-click it and type a new name in the text field. Note: Devices that have had a preset applied to them show a hash sign “#” at the beginning of their device name.
- Information: This icon opens a corresponding Wiki page with information about the device on a new tab in your web browser.
- Delete: This icon deletes the device from the desktop. Cables connected to it are either deleted or reconnected from the previous to the next device in the chain. Note: The master output is a unique device that cannot be deleted.
- Automation: This frame indicates that the control inside is driven by the sequencer. During recording, the frames of controls capable of being automated whose status you are changing are shown in red. Note: If the corresponding track is disabled in the device and track list, the automation frame is not shown.
- Automation value: This icon sets the current value of a control to its automated value after you have changed it. Note: If the current value of the control differs from its automated value, the icon blinks.