A Satellite Program is created to provide programs of CPE of the host center. The Satellite Program may not function on its own and does not have any type accreditation extended except to provide the programs outlined in the Satellite Program contract.
- An Accredited Member (host center) authorizes and oversees CPE programs at the Satellite Program through a contract that:
- establishes the Accredited Member center (host center) as responsible for oversight of all program activities, student enrollment and registration, fees, certificates, and quality of education at the Satellite Program;
- specifies that the Satellite Program receives its authorization and support from its host center; the host center commits to conduct the CPE program in compliance with ACPE Standards under the administration of the host center;
- clearly identifies the educational and administrative mechanisms by which the Satellite Program is related to the host center;
- clearly identifies the site where classes are held and the site(s) of clinical placements;
- states the beginning and end dates of the unit(s) or the length of the contract;
- clearly outlines the number of hours that constitute the unit;
- indicates that a current student handbook is available for each unit;
- for those Satellite Programs without an ACPE Certified Educator on site, specifies the parameters of supervisory involvement of the host center when a Certified Educator Candidate is employed/contracted by the Satellite Program;
- is signed by the administrative representative from each organization, the ACPE Certified Educator of the host center and the ACPE Certified Educator who will be responsible for the administration of CPE at the Satellite Program site.
- Satellite Programs must have a current, site-specific student handbook that meets ACPE Standards.
To Establish a Satellite
- Accredited centers must submit an Accreditation Review Request and upload complete application materials to their portfolio at least 45 calendar days before the unit will commence and may apply at any time during the review cycle.
- After the materials are received and found in order, provisional approval can be granted by the assigned commissioner, who will then report this to the ACPE Office. If there are are any issues with the materials, a letter outlining the inadequacies will be issued to the center.
- The letter can issue provisional approval with a timeline for submission of corrections
- The letter can deny provisional approval and outline the issues that need to be resolved for reconsideration.
- A Satellite Program may begin programs only after having received provisional approval by the assigned commissioner.
- A Satellite Program requires a one person site visit within six months of the start of CPE units.
- Final approval is contingent upon the a vote of the Accreditation Commission.The Commission will:
- Vote to approve the addition of a Satellite Program OR
- Deny the request to add a Satellite Program
- Centers with Provisional Accreditation may not apply to add Satellite Programs, with the exception of a free standing center functioning wholly or in part as a CPE program contract agency that relies on satellite programs as a base of operations.
- Satellite programs may not establish other satellite programs.
- Satellite programs may not utilize educational placements.
- Satellite programs are not placements. A satellite program offers a CPE program in its entirety at the satellite program facility; placements are for clinical experience only.
- A satellite program must provide information for the host center’s Accreditation Portfolio.